Does sports suspension lower height?

Thinking of picking up a Monte Carlo for the wife to replace her Nissan Juke. 

Personally I think the Fabia looks a little too high (compared to a SEAT Ibiza) and wondered, does the sport suspension option lower the suspension and reduce the gap in the wheel arch (especially the rear)?

Does anyone have the Monte Carlo with sport suspension and the 17" wheels that could post a picture?

Edited by TheBinarySheep

I would suggest you think very carefully before getting a Fabia with 17" wheels (40 profile tyres?), have a very long test drive first over every type of surface before making a decision.

When we bought our Fabia I was actually reluctant to have the SE-L since it was fitted with 16" wheels (45 profile tyres), my preference was an SE with 15" wheels (60 profile tyres) but the price after fitting extras was far higher than a more standard SE-L (still with a few extras). Previous experience with cars on 45 profile tyres had been bad, both had been noisy and uncomfortable but after 2 long test drives in a Fabia with 16" wheels (a colour edition and the one with a stripe) I decided that the ride actually seemed quite OK, no worse than the Nissan Note also 16" but 55 profile) we were changing.

After 7 months it was a good decision but I would not want it any firmer.

I agree that the Fabia looks a bit high but it does make entry/exit easy and when you are driving it you will never see it.

Sport suspension is normally stiffer and lower and if combined with 17" wheels I would expect it to make what is a very good car a very poor one which most owners would soon tire of.

But if you think that reducing the gap between the tyre and wheel arch is more important than having a good car to drive go ahead but make sure you drive one first with the exact combination you plan to buy. Changing the wheels/tyres and suspension back to standard will not be cheap if you find that the car is not really suitable on UK roads.

Factory sports suspension isn't worth it if you want more sportier stance for your car, its only 15mm, you barely notice it.

Going from Juke to 17" wheels + sport suspension litte fabia is risky, its going to be a rough ride, she will most likely hate it.

I know some say the ride will be firm,  but how firm?

for reference, her existing Juke is pretty firm, with 18" wheels and a tyre profile of 45.

we also have a mk3 Octavia vrs with 18" wheels and 40 profile tyres, and neither of us think that's particularly firm.

i think at the minute the choice is a toss up between a Fabia Monte Carlo and an Ibiza FR, the Ibiza has a much better stance. Also may be considering a Nissan Micra as it looks like they may be releasing a 117bhp version soon.

Edited by TheBinarySheep

Its soooo personal, if she is used to firm ride maybe it will be fine. Fabia  is a lot shorter, narrower and the cabin comforts just isn't the same as bigger, higher priced, cars.

Just do a test drive before you decide. In my experience most dealers who have monte carlo for test drive, usually have them fitted with factory sports suspensions. And if the tyre/rim size is the only thing holding back the ride comfort, then its the easiest thing to change.

A video of fabia with 18 wheels and sports supension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIzRGlmnYD8

Also you can go through the "Mk3 Fabia Owners Register" topic, lots off different pictures there.

How did you get on with the test drive?

I've got a 2017 Fabia Monte with both the 17" wheels AND the "Sports" suspension. TBH, I don't find it that harsh. I previously had a 2015 MK3 SEL with the same options, again, not too harsh. The wife has a newish Octavia VRS estate with the standard 18" rims and driving them back to back, I'd say that the Octavia is firmer. I certainly find my Monte ride quality more cosseting than my previous 2004 Fabia VRS. Bu then that had a bit more power that it had to deal with.

Happy hunting.