Skoda rapid mods/upgrades

Jme89

Hi all, new to the forum i own a rapid 1.2 tsi SeL, great car, finally getting round to putting my touches to it. Encountered a problem today trying to replace the chrome grille surround for the black version.... Anyone had any experience with this or tips? I took off the 4 screws to lift the plastic back but couldnt get the clips off the grill. Help?!

On 15/12/2018 at 17:08, Jme89 said:

Hi all, new to the forum i own a rapid 1.2 tsi SeL, great car, finally getting round to putting my touches to it. Encountered a problem today trying to replace the chrome grille surround for the black version.... Anyone had any experience with this or tips? I took off the 4 screws to lift the plastic back but couldnt get the clips off the grill. Help?!

Hi Jme89.

You need to remove the grille from the car.

Put it on a firm surface covered with a towel or similar.

Use a plastic or wood tool to press the locks for the grille outwards while pushing down.

Do this for all of the locks and the the frame will be loose so that you can gently (and gently is the word here) pull it off.

Give everything it a quick wipe down and you just need to press on the new frame. Sometimes easier to install the surround frame (Grille frame?) when the grille is mounted to the car.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to completely remove the  grill. Once the screws are out at the top then you can bend everything forward and then undo the clips near the headlights so that you can bend everything further forward to get your hands into the back of it

I did mine in the summer. I wouldn't fancy doing it at this time of year as the plastic will be cold and brittle

• 1 month later...

I undid the top 4 screws, and the clips by the headlights, but the grill seems to still be locked in place.

Is there another set of clips I am missing?

(2018 Rapid Spaceback Sport)

I didn't take the grill or bumper off mine but instead worked my way around the clips for the surround itself. My instructions above were how to get better access to them as I didn't fancy taking the bumper off and risk making a mess of it.