Installing a front view dash cam

Highlander19

Hi, looking to install a dash cam (Xmas present) but cable too short to reach 12v power socket. Has anyone done this, and where is it best to mount camera.

Some say needs to be behind rear view mirror, but awkward to route cable (when I source a longer one. Any tips would be gratefully received.

Have a search, loads of advice on this forum already reported. Basically best to hardwire to fuse box using easily available kit from Amazon, E-bay or Halfords.

Also worth looking at “other” Yeti forum where there is a step by step guide.

It really is a 20 min max job and once hardwired to fuse box (use rear window wiper fuse with piggyback fuse) then you can basically forget it as it switches on when you start the car and switches off when you switch the car off.  Just remember to reformat the SD card every month to keep it in good working order.

If all else fails I think Halfords will fit it for you for about £30 - not sure if the camera has to be bought from them to get that deal however?

Note that if you are fitting behind mirror (best place) then make sure you don’t obscure any sensors on the mirror, if I remember the sensors are on the left of the mirror so install camera on right of mirror, that’s what I did and no problems at all.

• Like 2

If you want to keep the existing lead supplied with the dashcam (with the cigarette lighter plug) then you could buy a cigarette lighter socket on a lead then wire that to the fusebox and simply plug the lead into that.  I did that and parts were very cheap. Plenty of room in fusebox to fit it. Depends if the lead that came with the dashcam is long enough!

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:58, Highlander19 said:

Thanks Expatman, since posting I had a look at advice on forum, and think the hardwire option is the way to go.

Will order a kit, as noone locally supplies it.

Hope you have seen that you need to put the cable inside the a frame cover and secure it away from the air bag

The male plug may be a 12v to 5v device, do make sure.

I was looking at a tinsky premium quality dual USB charger

socket and cigarette lighter 12v plug, Amazon.

61KjebXOXpL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by gumdrop

13 hours ago, Highlander19 said:

Fitted dash cam at the weekend hardwired to fuse box managed to route cable without removing A pillar trim and piggy backed fuse to rear wiper.

Works a treat.

Glad it all worked out for you. Incidentally if you had to remove the A pillar trim it is easy to do and once removed it is absolutely obvious where to fit the cable so as not to interfere with the airbag bits.