Price to buy at end of pch

My PCH comes to n end in about 6 weeks, and my daughter and her fella are considering buying my car from Skoda finance.

We have a provisional price that is similar to retail price. Does anyone have any experience  of this process, how negotiable is the price if at all ,  or is it better to trace the car and go to auction and try to get it cheaper.  I've heard tales of ghost bidding (to increase the price) when members of public bid though.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated 

I don’t understand the logic of end-of lease purchase prices.  I suppose it all depends on what the car ‘owes’ the company/underwriter. 

Some are negotiable and lease companies may be receptive to a counter offer.  You can only ask. 

I’ve seen people on here get a better price after a bit of haggling. 

We had a Fiesta on lease which we were keen on buying. The purchase price was £2.5-3k over the p/x value and still much higher than a similar car on the forecourt (with warranty etc).  I was prepared to pay for the added peace of mind of knowing ‘our’ cars history etc but they were taking the pi55. They wanted £9997. I offered them £8k but was prepared to go up a little. 

A day before collection they phoned me with another price which was £500 less than their initial quote. I declined as I had already bought a replacement and by that point I’d lost interest. The car was collected and taken to auction. 

I kept an an eye on autotrader for a few weeks and found the car at a Ford dealer for £8.5k.  I bet the the dealer paid much less than that at auction and the lease company had their own costs to factor in.  So it baffles me why they didn’t just accept my offer. They would have been better off. 

The price we've been quoted is £15200, and I've seen  cars with the same mileage for sale at around £16000 so I'm  assuming with discount etc would end up being around the same price. I can't however find any info on auction prices for Superbs recently.

Sales of all cars are down. The dealers buy lots of their used car at stock at auction and a couple of years ago complained they could not buy enough. Nearly new stock was bought from manufacturers as bulk unseen buys  and at one time they could not get enough.

This is a different time and the start of a buyers market. Make them and offer and be prepared to walk away.