Rear wiper not working

It never rains, it pours.

Had the work done on the car on Wednesday, and the missus phoned me this morning to say the rear wiper is not working, and it has siezed in the vertical position. Just a recap, it is a 55 reg 1.9 TDi PD.

Is this a common problem?

I've got a 56 plate 1.9 TDi PD and my rear wiper motor failed. Rather than than buy a replacement motor, I removed mine, dismantled it and cleaned up the internal workings which had seized. 

I used motorbike bike chain degreaser to clean the internals and then packed it with grease. It now works a treat.

Heres a video outlining the process. Although it's an Audi A3 motor, it's essentially the same as what's in your car. 

Removing the the motor is straight forward (three bolts and an electrical connection) and the boot liner isn't too difficult either. Just remember the torx screw by the rubber grab handle. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing you how to do this. 

Anyway, have a look at this video and hope it helps. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that flying pig, I will do what you have said, and if that doesn't work, I will remove it all together and simply put a rubber bung in the wiper hole. I believe it is legal to not have a rear wiper (my Alfa GT doesn't have one), but if it is there then it has to work for the MOT.