Best diesel fuel for mpg (big, important question!)

tkn

Has anyone noticed a difference between diesel fuels in terms of mpg? Branded Vs supermarket / premium Vs standard?

It would be interesting to hear you experiences. I'm likely to drive somewhere between 30000-50000 per year in a 150 TDI so price Vs mpg performance becomes very relevant. If I get the cheapest possible, would I really be saving over a branded fuel? Is it worth the jump to premium diesel? Particularly with longevity of the engine in mind.

Edited by tkn

24 minutes ago, tkn said:

Particularly with longevity of the engine in mind.

not only that, measure your's consumption with different brands

look, in Latvia 95E costs €1.17 but 98E €1.21 and most(~85%) of drivers chose cheaper one

i have add numbers to excel, where calculated price of mile is better with 98E cause smaller(-0.5l/100km) consumption

also for engine's lasting 98E is better than 95E, which contains 10% bio-eco alcohol

Some say they have noticed a difference and some say the opposite. I have run mine for 7 years on supermarket cheap diesel. The biggest influence is always the right foot/peddle and correctly judging what is ahead of you and allowing for that.

• Like 2

All standard B8 diesel fuel regardless of where you buy it is from the same refineries and storage depots.  You will see all of the brands filling their trucks at the same distribution sites such as Buncefield.  It’s all made the same way and to the same standard - BS EN590.  The only differences are down to any additives the tanker driver may pour in when filling the tanker wagon itself.

I have been driving diesels now since 1985 and never seen any difference that makes picking one brand over another worth the effort.  Super diesels are just different additives, the base fuel is the same.  Some use oil, some use GTL but the end product is the same.

• Like 3