Auto Finesse Detailing Academy - any views?

BriskodaJeff

I've had an email from them - it looks like something they have just started up.  I'm thinking about the "detail what you bring" one day course. Not cheap, but looks pretty good to me - but I'm a complete amateur at this stuff. So I was hoping someone who has been on one of these courses or understands more about it than me could offer an opinion. Are these courses worth it, or would I get as much out of the on-line video tuition courses out there? Thanks in advance. 

On a scale of “washing with a sponge”/10, what are your car washing skills like at the moment?

If I can get owt for nowt I’d go down that path first - YouTube has been invaluable as to technique, and I started with no detailing knowledge whatsoever.

What are your main desires to come from this - what would you like to do immediately after the course? Chemicals Guys, AMMO, Autoglym all have good ‘detailling’ Videos (of course, they’re all selling something).

As with many hobbies, technique will always win... With detailing, it’s very easy to be all the gear, no idea, when you’ve got 5 buckets, dirt traps, 50 microfibres.... 

I made a few detailed (heh) responses here if you’re wanting get to get started yourself: 

Edited by Niyx
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this - will go through the linked thread. I'd describe myself as "some gear and a little bit of an idea". I know enough to keep my hands off the car as much as possible and I'm comfortable with decontamination, 2 BM, drying, waxing etc. Where I am completely clueless is things like measuring paint depth, using lights to detect imperfections and using machine tools for polishing for example.

I use decent products (Fusso Dark, Iron Out, Oblitarate, BH Paint Cleanser, AG Custom Wheel Cleaner, Mint Rims) and I do a deep clean / decontamination twice a year and regularly top up the protection with Megs Ultimate liquid wax or Quik-wax. 

I like the effect I get with that setup, but don't know how to go to the next level. I'm also a fan of "something for nothing" (aren't we all:)) but having tried plastering I also know that the pro's can make difficult stuff look very easy and I don't want to try anything that could damage the car without supervision. 

So you’ve made a cracking start so far then!

Professionals are just that, they do it for a living, and once you’ve skimmed 100 bathrooms, you start to be pretty OK at skimming bathrooms, and the same applies here, time and patience and a willing to try.

For a starter machine, look to get a DAS (Dual-Action), as the risk of damage is lower as the mechanism doesn’t keep the pad in the same place, which is what a regular Rotary would do (think of an 8 vs 0). You can definitely pick one up cheap from eBay or if you’re willing to drop ~£99 I would recommend the one I have in a heartbeat (DAS6).

The risk free approach is to grab a bonnet from a breakers and practice your polishing technique - I had a field car that was past it’s prime to practice on before moving onto the Fabia (the black roof highlights imperfections well!)...

You can also use machine polishers with 0 cut products and pads to get the shine without the cut, just to get a feel of the machine and pressure you should be using, plus, you get to pick up some gear early on.

One thing that I still have apprehension about is cutting compound, and whilst the advice is always use the least abrasive method to achieve your goal and move “up” if you don’t achieve the desired result, it’s still a bit of a heart in mouth moment when you’re wiping off the residue.

Practice makes perfect - and there is a wealth of collective knowledge out there (YouTube, Detailing World, Reddit etc) to help you feel more confident.

Given the choice of ££ on a course vs buying ££ kit for home and doing it myself, I’d learn much quicker with the latter, YouTube and a scrap panel!

• Thanks 1