Battery on the way out

The car failed to start this morning after filling with fuel. It was hesitant first thing, and the missus who uses it daily says it is always like that:worried: I tried to push and bump start it, but she doesn't quite get how that should be done, so I got in and a couple of kind guys gave me a push. The clock had rest to zero as had the trip, but driving back there was nothing funny happening with the dials or warning lights, so I think it is battery and not alternator.

The existing battery is 5 years old, so not too bad.

I have just been looking online at Battery2U, and they are doing a Lucas replacement at £74.42 when Europarts want between £90 and £110.

Has anyone used this supplier before, because they seem to get good reviews.

https://www.battery2u.co.uk/lucas-car-batteries-hb096--hcb096--lp096.aspx

Edited by andyoctavia

Mine failed after 5,5 years. 

5 years is not not that bad for a battery. I've seen batteries lasting longer tho, but ok....

As for the hesistating start: This is a common issue with a warm engine. There is a software fix available for this.

Also, the factory installed starter motor isn't that great. Especially with a warm engine it might have some struggle to crank with sufficient rpm to enable a start.  

A good battery can make a huge difference. Mine has also these issues, but with a good battery it's not a big problem. (Dealer recommended changing the starter motor, but I never did). 

As for the battery: I've read good experiences with Lucas batteries. We have some installed in our company cars as well, which do the job. But to be honest, any battery will... 

Personally, I would stick to the 'known brands' like Varta and Bosch. Prices are in the same range. 

On Ebay I see them for 75-80 GBP including UK shipping. 

The Lucas one you're linking to is 70Ah. I had this intially, but installed a 74Ah once that one failed. Not that much difference, but I like oversizing.. (less stress to the battery, altough this difference is little)

I'm now running some cheap Polish 'Start-R Akumulator' in my O2, since my last battery failed during a holiday tip. A local DIY store in Poland had this in stock, so I've replaced my failing one on the parking lot. So far, it works fine. Probably won't last another 5 years, but it was cheap ( 60GBP) and its not likely I'm driving my O2 another 5 year anyway.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wiilydog said:

I can highly recommend a varta silver battery from Tayna batteries.

2nd the Varta Silver .I got the Heavy Duty  77AH from baterymegauk on E-Bay which was a bit of an upgrade from the original OE fitment

Edited by JEFF-the-Bowman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, seriesdriver said:

Where are you getting your eurocar parts prices from ? 096 bosch s3 battery £79.49 with sale 55 code.

Just tried that on the ECP site and used click and collect. It didn't let me use the 50% discount/sale55 code, so I won't be using it.

22 hours ago, andyoctavia said:

Personally Andy, a higher Ah and especially a higher CCA rating would be better for a Diesel like yours.

I purchased the Bosch S5(008) 096 with 77Ah with CCA of 780 and a 5 year warranty.

The Lucas is only 70Ah with CCA of 640 and a 3 year warranty. 

The sale55 does work, but i think you would find it cheaper elsewhere. ebay motorist store usually good.

I suspect the lucas is more suited to smaller diesel engines and petrols.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

Higher capacity: Agree.

Even if a car struggles to start somehow, the bigger the battery, the longer it takes before its too weak to start.

CCA: a 1.9 is a pretty light engine. Higher CCA is more important with massive engines with current-hungry starter motors. If I remember correctly the starter motor is somewhere around 1.7kW, which equals to <150A.

So 640 or 780A CCA doesn't make any difference. Besides that, CCA rating is specified at -18 degrees celcius, so with a 'more common' temperature the battery can deliver even higher currents.

• Like 1

Just a quick update.

I charged the battery up on Sunday and for the last three mornings the starting has been a lot more definite - doesn't sound sluggish or hesitant.

I have also noticed that my wife's procedure starting the car is very different to mine. I get in put the seatbelt on, turn the key and then start the engine as soon as the glow plug light goes out. She seems to get in, turn the key put her seatbelt on, mess around with the mirror etc then start the engine. She also uses the radio a lot at lunchtimes with the engine turned off and charges her phone at the same time, so I am wondering what kind of a drain on the battery that has.

Edited by andyoctavia

1 hour ago, andyoctavia said:

Just a quick update.

I charged the battery up on Sunday and for the last three mornings the starting has been a lot more definite - doesn't sound sluggish or hesitant.

I have also noticed that my wife's procedure starting the car is very different to mine. I get in put the seatbelt on, turn the key and then start the engine as soon as the glow plug light goes out. She seems to get in, turn the key put her seatbelt on, mess around with the mirror etc then start the engine. She also uses the radio a lot at lunchtimes with the engine turned off and charges her phone at the same time, so I am wondering what kind of a drain on the battery that has.

The answer is .... keep your old battery and get a new wife :)

• Like 1