1.8tsi replacement advice

Meteiro

Hi All,

New to the forum, and glad I found this place! So first a big thank you to everyone contributing to the lengthy but very useful 1.8 / 2.0 oil burning thread.

Last weekend I picked up my first Skoda, a 12 plate Superb Estate 1.8 DSG. Awesome car, I can't believe how good it is and it still looks great for a car with 82k on the clock. However, following the oil warning light on my journey home and the subsequent 1 litre of oil used over the next 520 miles it's going back to the dealer next week for a full refund (the dreaded and well known oil consumption issue). Dealer didn't even suggest fixing it, so suspect they've seen this before!

I'm absolutely gutted, as it's hands down the best car I've ever driven.

So I'm looking for a replacement and now have the Skoda bug, so if I can find something suitable I'd like to get another Skoda. The 1.4 seems to be a good choice from what I've read on the forum in most guises.

Budget is around 9k, might be able to stretch to 10k. I only do about 12k per annum and no need of a diesel. I'm not against a well built older car, but keen to avoid any EA888 engines after this experience. I also need an estate due to carrying a few dogs, and an automatic as the wife can't drive a manual due to ill health. Is there a particular year / engine combination (in budget of course) in the Octavia or Superb where I won't have any 'known' reliability issues? Is the 1.4 a good choice?

Thanks in advance!

• Thanks 1

In my opinion this is tricky. The 1.4 seems like a decent engine but is partnered with the smaller dry clutch dsg. Still don't trust the DQ200 box new, used it's worse I think. 

Maybe try another 1.8 to see if it doesn't have oil consumption issues. Been checking oil levels in my 2.0 ea888 regularly but so far after 1k plus miles after owning it, doesn't seem to be burning any oil.