Buy now or wait for facelift?

52 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

It depends.  Some xenons are good, some LED's are bad (and vice versa) :) . Beam pattern/alignment and the headlight cluster/lens itself are just as important as the lamp technology and kelvin rating IMO 

I've had full LED headlights on a previous car, IME they weren't as good as the 'upgraded' Osram Xenons I currently have in my Superb.  I wasn't really impressed with the OE Osrams fitted to the car so a half decent set of LED's would no doubt be seen as an improvement. 

It's not just brightness and basic beam pattern, LEDs allow much better active beam control than the simple motorised shutter system used in the current HID lights.

1 hour ago, TonyTonic said:

It 'might' have digital cockpit as standard as well as LED lamps plus an updated ICE with wireless Apple CP and AA. Who knows...

I'd hope that was the case, at least on the L&K if not the lower-spec models...

Not too fussed about a digital dash, would prefer the led lights but not a major issue. Just need to test a 1.5 soon to check the update has worked well enough for myself. 

If it has then got a decision about what spec to get. Really don't want 19 inch wheels so that rules sportline out. Either go with SE and add lots on or SEL with a few less add ons. Have worked out on the configurator SEL will cost about a grand more, though would of course be getting a few extras over SE but not stuff I especially need. Hmm decisions decisions. 

On 03/04/2019 at 16:00, mandp said:

I'm awaiting delivery of a new Superb Hatch.

I prefer to wait until the end of a `run` so all the potential `gremlins` have been ironed out.

Hope you make the right decision...whether now or later...one thing is for sure...you'll love it.

This!

But from what I've seen, there is no need to wait until the end of the whole model 'run'. I don't remember where, but I did see a stats for Superb where units sold in 2015 and 2016 had much higher number of first-year-of-ownership faults then units sold afterwards. I had the same, albeit anecdotal, experiece with Ford Focus 2005-2007. In both cases, one should definitely be much better off buying car approx. 2 years after the release of the new model (probably 1 year for facelifts that introduce more than just aesthetics).

On 04/04/2019 at 17:27, Zid2000 said:

This!

But from what I've seen, there is no need to wait until the end of the whole model 'run'. I don't remember where, but I did see a stats for Superb where units sold in 2015 and 2016 had much higher number of first-year-of-ownership faults then units sold afterwards. I had the same, albeit anecdotal, experiece with Ford Focus 2005-2007. In both cases, one should definitely be much better off buying car approx. 2 years after the release of the new model (probably 1 year for facelifts that introduce more than just aesthetics).

For cars which are completely new models I'd agree, there's more risk of gremlins shortly after introduction. For minor updates like the Superb I'm not convinced -- apart from styling changes things like the virtual cockpit are already in production, and I can't see the LED lights causing major problems -- in fact maybe less so than the adaptive HID ones which do seem to have occasional problems with the motorised shutters (but mine have been trouble-free).

6 hours ago, IanJD said:

For cars which are completely new models I'd agree, there's more risk of gremlins shortly after introduction. For minor updates like the Superb I'm not convinced -- apart from styling changes things like the virtual cockpit are already in production, and I can't see the LED lights causing major problems -- in fact maybe less so than the adaptive HID ones which do seem to have occasional problems with the motorised shutters (but mine have been trouble-free).

I was writing my comment more from a general standpoint. I'm not following in detail what is expected as part of facelift but I heard of hybrid engines so I had that in mind when I wrote "probably 1 year for facelifts that introdce more than just aesthetics". I wouldn't expect issues with LED lights and virtual cockpit and such same as you.

On 04/04/2019 at 13:41, Tom34 said:

Not too fussed about a digital dash, would prefer the led lights but not a major issue. Just need to test a 1.5 soon to check the update has worked well enough for myself. 

If it has then got a decision about what spec to get. Really don't want 19 inch wheels so that rules sportline out. Either go with SE and add lots on or SEL with a few less add ons. Have worked out on the configurator SEL will cost about a grand more, though would of course be getting a few extras over SE but not stuff I especially need. Hmm decisions decisions. 

Following an accident in my Sportline I chose an SE L Executive with a 1.5TSI DSG. First this is a well specced car and worth looking at if you can get one at a good price.

As for the 1.5 TSI. I did wonder about this engine in the Superb. My wife's Karoq doesn't kangaroo like the manual but there is a distinct sudden lift forward when taking off, which can be managed by a lighter application of the right foot.

I found the same with the 1.5 DSG in the Superb, but to a much lesser degree. I'm waiting to get booked in for the software update. I'm expecting an improvement, but to be honest in the DSG variant in the Superb, for me, it isn't really an issue.

Incidentally, I'm very pleased with the 1.5 in the Superb. Very quiet, good low down pull and all the power for everyday driving that I need. When I do need a few more horses for overtaking, they are there. 

Edited by Ashmount
typo