Drivers side wiper not working.

My drivers side wiper has popped of the wiper linkage. I put it back on but it just keeps popping off. I phoned skoda assist as this happend before and they fitted a new linkage for me at my work. This time they did not have the part so i am going to have a try and fix it myself.

I had a look this  morning and found the part number 5j0.955.325 valeo. 

The question i have is how does it conect to the rest of the assembley ? It looks like a black plastic nut or is it just pushed into position ? Thaks for any help in advance. 

Once you have stripped the parts needed, to access the area, yes, they just tightly pop together. It is this tightness, that does the job but after a few years, they wear out somewhat and as the design is kind of upside down, gravity takes over and they fall off. If made the other way, they might just stay on, only popping off in extreme force/conditions! When assembling, a little lube, such as washing up liquid, might help. Not oil or grease though, as they will stay there, where soap will wash away. You don't want to keep lubing the joint, to help it slip off again!

So you know, you can buy a little stainless steel clip,(Ebay)  which although fiddly, clips right over the bit that pops. This in turn, prevents the popping and is meant to be a temporary, get you home method, that actually lasts longer then the replacement part. 

The genuine replacement part should cost only a few quid, less then a fiver so don't get ripped off! Buy direct from Skoda, not another supplier, unless they are the same sort of price. Breakers might not split the part or might was £20 just for a £3 part. (Not exact price but I have had two. The second one, still in my shed as I fitted the clip in the meantime, so I know they are cheap).

3 minutes ago, mrgf said:

Once you have stripped the parts needed, to access the area, yes, they just tightly pop together. It is this tightness, that does the job but after a few years, they wear out somewhat and as the design is kind of upside down, gravity takes over and they fall off. If made the other way, they might just stay on, only popping off in extreme force/conditions! When assembling, a little lube, such as washing up liquid, might help. Not oil or grease though, as they will stay there, where soap will wash away. You don't want to keep lubing the joint, to help it slip off again!

So you know, you can buy a little stainless steel clip,(Ebay)  which although fiddly, clips right over the bit that pops. This in turn, prevents the popping and is meant to be a temporary, get you home method, that actually lasts longer then the replacement part. 

The genuine replacement part should cost only a few quid, less then a fiver so don't get ripped off! Buy direct from Skoda, not another supplier, unless they are the same sort of price. Breakers might not split the part or might was £20 just for a £3 part. (Not exact price but I have had two. The second one, still in my shed as I fitted the clip in the meantime, so I know they are cheap).

I saw that Halfords also sells the steel clip so went and bought one this morning £8 ! But the Skoda assist guy had used a plastic band type thing to temporarily hold the wiper in place. However this did not work and a found that due to it being held in place it has bent the rod so I can't install this metal clip. I was going to take the rod of and straighten in and try the clip. But it looked like a plastic nut holding it in place. 

Yeah, they just press. Might need pliers to do a new one. If bent, best to swap as so cheap. Halford's robbed you but if it works, its better then a pair £2 and a weeks wait! They are exactly the same clip, in a box. In fact, the Fiat ones on eBay are too and you can get two for 99p! 

That price is worth ordering and keeping in the boot but they will take weeks as come from China.

Edited by mrgf

• 4 months later...

Exact same thing happened to my Fabia a few weeks ago. I managed to remove one wiper (the hard part) and lift the plastic cover up to get to the linkage, and then pop the linkage back into place (my first car repair, yay!), but today it popped off again. I guess I have a new hobby now ;D

I'm going to try the stainless steel clip trick mrgf suggested (on both wipers, just in case), but I'm not sure what type of clip this is. Does anyone have links or pictures of these clips? (DM me if posting referral-type links is not allowed)

My car has the steering wheel on the left side, it was the passenger-side wiper that stopped working. I'm thinking this is because the linkage for that arm is more exposed to weather etc. The linkage was really rusty. Cleaned it off with a lot of WD40.

Others have suggested drilling a hole thru the linkage parts, and fastening it with bolts + washers. But it seems that metal clips will do the job?

IMG_0773.JPG

This is the type of clip but probably the wrong price:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windscreen-Wiper-Motor-Linkage-Rods-Arms-Link-Mechanism-Repair-Clip-Kit/281832877467?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3Db5a81eae76654045b0a5c79cfba89370%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D9%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D183208809736%26itm%3D281832877467%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A0c682542-b9bd-11e9-8a6a-74dbd180d657%7Cparentrq%3A7082e3c216c0ad305836f459ffd20fb3%7Ciid%3A1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rum4mo said:

This is the type of clip but probably the wrong price:-

Thank you rum4mo !!

Yeah, they are a bit pricey but the cheap ones I could find was shipping from China, so I got the "expensive" ones from the UK. I need to fix this issue asap :)

The "expensive" ones will be a lot "cheaper" as they arrive fast and you will be up and running in days, not weeks. To reassure, I have had a clip fitted now for a few years, no issues since!

• Thanks 1