Storage Bin on Dash Top Removal

Berisford

I’m needing a bit of advice regarding the removal of the storage bin on the dash....there’s 2 screws visible but after removing ‘em it becomes a little slack but not enough to let go.

Has anyone removed this bin and can give me a clue about what is holding it?

My plan is to put a switched power supply in the bin to charge my phone / battery pack.

51 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

Can you not do it from the one that slides back in front of the gear stick as you have a 12v socket 

Well, if the box won’t come out, then I’ll have to - it’s just that it’s all a bit tight down there in front of the gear lever. I quite fancied a supply point that switches off when I leave the motor, the in-built points all run with the ignition off.

A follow up to perhaps help anyone else looking to remove the box......it's held in by 2 screws and 4 x spring clips, 2 on the left edge and 2 on the right.....remove the 2 T2 screws from the front edge........put a couple of short flat head screwdriver into the slots just above the screw holes and onto a ledge and lever up.......be brave.......that pops two of the 4 spring clips holding it all down.....close the lid and pull the box up to pop the two remaining rearward clips and job done.

Lots of space in and around the dash box cavity....feeding a power cable from the fuse area behind the glove box was easy.

I installed one of these via a spare fuse place on the ignition side.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KRTWQHV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2019 at 19:13, Berisford said:

A follow up to perhaps help anyone else looking to remove the box......it's held in by 2 screws and 4 x spring clips, 2 on the left edge and 2 on the right.....remove the 2 T2 screws from the front edge........put a couple of short flat head screwdriver into the slots just above the screw holes and onto a ledge and lever up.......be brave.......that pops two of the 4 spring clips holding it all down.....close the lid and pull the box up to pop the two remaining rearward clips and job done.

Lots of space in and around the dash box cavity....feeding a power cable from the fuse area behind the glove box was easy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KRTWQHV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for this. Need to run fibre between headunit and dashboard , so I hope removing top glovebox can help a lot.

I did install similar , but plastic sockets on my Yeti. Actually I installed also led light with automatic switch and USB sockets to MDI unit.  But on yeti it was just two screws , no clips. 

a0ecd46s-1920.jpg

• Like 1

You're welcome Shahoff........in retrospect perhaps I should have put in some light as on your Yeti adaptation, looks smart and maybe some silicone grease or similar on the spring clips when I replaced the box in case it has to come out again.

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...
On 10/04/2019 at 19:13, Berisford said:

Hi Berisford, 

can you confirm this was for the Karoq? I’ve the same situation but just looking to replace the storage bin due to scratches from Previous owner. Appreciate it was a while you completed this post but any guidance would be amazing. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, Ldouglas24 said:

Hi Berisford, 

can you confirm this was for the Karoq? I’ve the same situation but just looking to replace the storage bin due to scratches from Previous owner. Appreciate it was a while you completed this post but any guidance would be amazing. 

Thanks

Yes, it was a Karoq.