Dual Display Port USB-C KVM

mbames

Has anyone seem a solution would will take 2 x DP feeds from 2 different devices and act as a KVM?

ie. 

Laptop 1  -> Dock 1 -> 2 x DP cables -> KVM

Laptop 2  -> Dock 2 -> 2 x DP cables -> KVM

KVM -> 2 DP monitors

KVM -> Mouse & Keyboard

Or a unit would could act as a suitable dock for 2 laptops (it would ideally need 2 x network connections, as neither machine would want to drop its network connection when it wasn't in the device displaying output.  laptops have USB C output, so would use that to connect to dock / super fancy KVM device....

I'm not sure but are you wanting output to two monitors or two laptops to one monitor (via DP).

I use RDP for Windows and VNC for Linux instead of using KVM switches. Less wires!

I tend to use both laptops with dual displays.  So rather than having 4 monitors on the desk, I'd like to share 2 monitors (both being driven from just 1 laptop at a time, as selected by the KVM 'unit').

Laptops are often on separate networks, so RDP/etc isn't possible.

I see, never seen anything like that. Could you use a USB C/ 3.0 dock with a USB switch.

The two laptops are connected to a switch that switches between two ports, which in turn is connected to a displaylink device?  So effectively the displays will be driven via USB. I've seen the USB 3 switches on Amazon as well as the USB displaylink devices. The keyboard and mouse connected to the displaylink device. I'm not sure if the laptop would be able to switch displays though, I've only ever used a setup like this for kb and mouse.

Is the preference for DP just because of the ports on the laptops? Although I have seen a USB to twin DP adapter.

Although I just found this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-Monitor-Switch-Audio-Black/dp/B003N3BU6E?th=1&psc=1

Edited by io1901
Added link

I think you're actually looking for a KVM that support DP chaining/MST.

Maybe something like these:

https://www.aten.com/gb/en/products/kvm/desktop-kvm-switches/cs1922m/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-2-port-DisplayPort-Switch-Built-Black/dp/B00UVH9PRQ

No idea how well they work though.

If you frequently move the laptops and connecting power, network, usb and DP is too annoying, you could probably add docks between the laptops and KVM for convenience.

• 1 month later...