Windscreen Replacement

granty09

So on Day 2 of owning my Karoq I noticed a mark on the windscreen, closer look, it wasn't a mark it was a really thick bit of heating element for the heated windscreen, cue even closer look, the heating elements were all over the place going up down left right. In touch with Skoda and they said definitely a fault and would organise a windscreen replacement, it took 5 weeks to arrange, ridiculous! The dealership I contacted and bought the car from to be fair, we're really helpful, (didn't want to take it there to get done as quite a drive so asked them to arrange a closer dealership). 

Dropped it off on Monday and still not heard anything yet, will give them a call tomorrow. What didn't fill me with much confidence was after they had inspected the windscreen and said 'we've had to order some new parts we didn't know we were going to need, we've never replaced a windscreen before' eeek! 

Fingers crossed all will be OK. Has anyone else had a dodgy front windscreen heating element? Could be a faulty batch or maybe just a one off! 

1 minute ago, Karoqing said:

Whilst annoying I wouldn't think it's unusual for them to struggle with getting a replacement windscreen for a vehicle only fairly recently launched. 

They didn’t struggle to get a windscreen it came the day after they ordered it, it was just they didn’t get the ball moving until 5 weeks after it was booked in! That wasn’t the real concern, the point of the post was more my concern at the garage saying they had never replaced a windscreen before, (they didn’t say specifically Karol they just said general windscreen)but I’m sure it will be fine.

Most moderen windscreens are "Glued" In place nowadays. Older ones fitted in rubber strips and you would "Pull" The glass in with a piece of string/cord

So they would have to order the screen, the adhesive, the gun used to apply the adhesive, possibly equipment to remove the old screen (You would not want them to just "Smash" It out). Then, solvent, etc to remove the old adhesive. Lifting equipment will be needed to line up and hold the new glass, along with potentially measuring/checking stuff. You won't want a misaligned new windscreen? The mirror, along with any electrical will need sorting/fitting and the adhesive will take a few days to set properly. I have seen the mobile glass people fit screens and allow the owners to drive off, with bits of ill fitting tape, still holding the glass in place until the adhesive is set. I would strongly advise against this as one bump and the glass might just end up on the bonnet and the road! 

To that end, if they are offering you a replacement vehicle until it is sorted, (They should be) I would leave them to fit it properly and expect perhaps a little extra somewhere, for your inconvenience, (perhaps a set of mats, mudflats etc). Also, I would insist that they give you some sort of warranty on the quality/fitment of the screen as it has now been removed/replaced and is no longer "From the factory"!!!

Sure, they can't expect to replace it if you get a stone chip, etc but they can if the thing starts to come loose, lets water in or the new heating element fails, etc.

It may even be in THEIR interest, to have the vehicle taken to the dealer you obtained the car from, fixed and returned to them, so as to not be "Liable" Directly. I myself, would have took that drive or insisted the seller collect it from your local dealership.

47 minutes ago, mrgf said:

Most moderen windscreens are "Glued" In place nowadays. Older ones fitted in rubber strips and you would "Pull" The glass in with a piece of string/cord

So they would have to order the screen, the adhesive, the gun used to apply the adhesive, possibly equipment to remove the old screen (You would not want them to just "Smash" It out). Then, solvent, etc to remove the old adhesive. Lifting equipment will be needed to line up and hold the new glass, along with potentially measuring/checking stuff. You won't want a misaligned new windscreen? The mirror, along with any electrical will need sorting/fitting and the adhesive will take a few days to set properly. I have seen the mobile glass people fit screens and allow the owners to drive off, with bits of ill fitting tape, still holding the glass in place until the adhesive is set. I would strongly advise against this as one bump and the glass might just end up on the bonnet and the road! 

To that end, if they are offering you a replacement vehicle until it is sorted, (They should be) I would leave them to fit it properly and expect perhaps a little extra somewhere, for your inconvenience, (perhaps a set of mats, mudflats etc). Also, I would insist that they give you some sort of warranty on the quality/fitment of the screen as it has now been removed/replaced and is no longer "From the factory"!!!

Sure, they can't expect to replace it if you get a stone chip, etc but they can if the thing starts to come loose, lets water in or the new heating element fails, etc.

It may even be in THEIR interest, to have the vehicle taken to the dealer you obtained the car from, fixed and returned to them, so as to not be "Liable" Directly. I myself, would have took that drive or insisted the seller collect it from your local dealership.

I didn't mean my original post to come across as a point of anger, it was just a little concern I had. I completely understand your point though and didn't really think about it like that. The original garage couldn't have done it anyway as they said they didn't have the right equipment so it would have only been taken to another garage if I had of dropped it off at where I bought it from.

I've been in contact today and it is ready to pick up this afternoon. Will definitely speak to them regarding Warranty though, thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

And, how did they do?

Can't fault the fitting of the windscreen, looks pretty perfect however they left my car in a right mess. It was absolutely filthy! Dirty grubby fingerprints everywhere, dirty shoe marks everywhere, even on the dash! I asked them why they hadn't cleaned it afterwards and I just got the 'really busy' excuse. When I cleaned it for 3 hours when I got home, I also noticed a scratch that 100% wasn't there before. I was very annoyed as car only 6 weeks old, but no one else can notice it so I've come to terms with it! Think I will take it to another garage when it's time for its service though! 

• Like 1

Footprints on the dashboard!?

Busy or not is no excuse. I wouldn't want them touching my car again, but would be insisting they pay for a full interior valet.

Won't do any harm, contact Skoda UK customer services and let them know how one of their franchised dealers is performing, you never know they may make an effort to put things right for you. Takes seconds to fill in their online form...

https://tools.skoda.co.uk/contact-us

Just now, silver1011 said:

Footprints on the dashboard!?

Busy or not is no excuse. I wouldn't want them touching my car again, but would be insisting they pay for a full interior valet.

Won't do any harm, contact Skoda UK customer services and let them know how one of their franchised dealers is performing, you never know they may make an effort to put things right for you. Takes seconds to fill in their online form...

https://tools.skoda.co.uk/contact-us

Well not specifically the instrument cluster but just the general dash, don't ask me how. In hindsight I should have taken pictures but I had been without my car for nearly a week and had to pick the little one up, not an excuse I know but there we go. I'll fill the form in anyway, no harm is there. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 12:15, granty09 said:

The original garage couldn't have done it anyway as they said they didn't have the right equipment 

I'm very surprised the garage that did it didn't say the same as the first garage.

They have bought, or at least sourced / borrowed equipment just to do your screen.............And had to learn how to do it properly too (hopefully).

Everyone has to start somewhere, I know.........

Glad you got it sorted (eventually).

Edited by Tilt

On 24/05/2019 at 19:54, granty09 said:

Dirty grubby fingerprints everywhere, dirty shoe marks everywhere, even on the dash! 

Shoe marks on the dash?????????.........................Perhaps the technician had his missus in there for some contortion testing.....................

Or even him and his mate.....................you never know nowadays, Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tilt said:

Shoe marks on the dash?????????.........................Perhaps the technician had his missus in there for some contortion testing.....................

Or even him and his mate.....................you never know nowadays, Lol.

Have you  looked at the roof lining? If he's left shoe prints up there he must know his positions🙂.

32 minutes ago, jimmer69 said:

Have you  looked at the roof lining? If he's left shoe prints up there he must know his positions🙂.

Were they shoe marks .... or stilletos? 

😉

12 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Were they shoe marks .... or stilletos? 

😉

If he/she has punctured the lining, definitely stilletos!!

My experience wasn't exactly positive either, a lot of modern driver aids utilise sensors and cameras mounted up at the top of the windscreen which require calibration, and in my case managed to evade the abilities of both Autoglass and DM Keith Skoda...

2 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

My experience wasn't exactly positive either, a lot of modern driver aids utilise sensors and cameras mounted up at the top of the windscreen which require calibration, and in my case managed to evade the abilities of both Autoglass and DM Keith Skoda...

Mine had to go to two different garages, one to have the windscreen replaced, then another to have the sensors / cameras calibrated.