Fabia to replace Octavia I've had 12 years

Afternoon all, I've had my Octavia 2.0tdi estate for 12 years now and I'm thinking about a newer car. Not a brand new one, maybe a year old or so. I thought about a Yeti but I'm now thinking more towards a Fabia Estate. I'm now retired and only do short journeys of 5 miles or less normally with my terriers. I'm not particularly bothered what engine's in it. What's the best model for me do you reckon ? Thanks.

I have had my Fabia estate (SE, 1.0TSI 95psi, man 5sp) for just over a year and very satisfied with it. Six months old when purchased. Like you my mileage is now very light but economy is excellent  (55mpg plus). However all these cars really benefit from a good long trip from time to time plus an occasional burst through the gears! You have no need for a diesel with that sort of usage and even the non turbo MPI models would probably be suitable. No other small car/estate gives you as much space.

For 5 mile local journeys get the petrol and avoid the diesel

I would either go for one of the last 1.2 tsi petrols (about 2 years old) or if your budget stretches to it the new 1.0tsi (oldest will be about 1.5 years).  The mpi engines are much lower power and not so enjoyable to drive.

Spec level is harder to pick, not going to need many luxuries for a local runabout (and if you keep your cars 12 years there is an argument for the fewer the better, as every gadget is just something else to potentially go wrong).  There is no point in paying for optional gadgets that you will never use.

Can I throw in a curved ball, if you can find one of the last 1.2tsi petrol roomsters, then that will be even more practical, but that would be 4 years old.

I've got a Mk3 1.2/110 dsg variant and think it is a good car. But if like me you do many short trips, make sure to disconnect the BCM (battery control module). This piece of engineering f-up stops the battery charging over 75% on short jorneys (some morons idea that it saves fuel) with the result that with the start/stop system in operation it soon brings up battery low warnings. 

Disabling the BCM (by disconnecting it from the battery negative terminal) resolves the warnings and disables the start/stop system as a bonus! The garage told me to take the car for a long drive... a really great way of saving fuel. 

I get around 42 or 43 mpg when using for short trips. I've done several longer trips recently and managed 47 to 48 mpg. The 1.2 Tsi engine is adequate and quite peppy.