Hello Again.

Scoondal

I was previously a member around 2012 when I was looking for a secondhand Superb or Octavia.

Anyway, in 2013 I bought a 3 three year old Octavia with 107,000 km on the clock. I used this car as a taxi until May 2018 and just private usage since. My car has now clocked up 448,000 kms. When it is parked beside the newer Octavias it looks more classy ... the chrome on the grill, and the "swept back" headlights give it more of a presence than the newer modest front lights. Being that dark blue colour, against chrome ... beautiful contrast. Obviously maintained properly, rear-ended once, so I have few "characteristics" with the car. Dents, knocks funny stuff that for me is just the car's character now ( with age ).

This car is the mid-specification level (Ambition in Ireland). I recently drove a 2014 newer model (basic level Active). No, not for me. All the cubby holes are gone and I can't even put a bottle in the door storage area because the speaker is there now.

I'm thinking to just maintain my 2010 Octavia. 

Maybe I will attach photos if anyone wants to see my car. It's not for sale as per my comments above and also my son has grown up with this car and for him it is a family member !

• Like 2

On 24/06/2019 at 18:59, Superb170 said:

Just goes to show when you look after them you will serious mileage!  I presume its a 1.9 tdi - hard to beat really

I used to have the 1.9tdi, 2005 model. A horse of a car. 4th gear would take you everywhere. My Octavia now is 1.6 tdi cr. It took me a while to appreciate it because it seemed weak and fragile compared to my previous 1.9 tdi. When I bought it in 2013, I often stalled the engine because I was driving it like my previous car. It needed a bit more gear work !

But now, when I park it beside a 2014 Octavia, ( or even the newer split headlight versions) it looks fantastic. Much more classy.

I bought it as a 3 year old car with 107,00kms on the clock. Used it as a taxi for 5 years. It is now retired as a taxi, but continues to be our family car. 448,000kms so far.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 18:15, Scoondal said:

I used to have the 1.9tdi, 2005 model. A horse of a car. 4th gear would take you everywhere. My Octavia now is 1.6 tdi cr. It took me a while to appreciate it because it seemed weak and fragile compared to my previous 1.9 tdi. When I bought it in 2013, I often stalled the engine because I was driving it like my previous car. It needed a bit more gear work !

But now, when I park it beside a 2014 Octavia, ( or even the newer split headlight versions) it looks fantastic. Much more classy.

I bought it as a 3 year old car with 107,00kms on the clock. Used it as a taxi for 5 years. It is now retired as a taxi, but continues to be our family car. 448,000kms so far.

I've seen them with even more mileage than that too.  I had a 1.9tdi Octavia at one stage and loved it.   Doubt any of the newer small petrol units such as the 1.0 tsi would ever get close to that!

• 1 month later...

Just back from holidays. I had 4 suitcases (90kg) plus an airline cabin suitcase plus an overnight holdall plus a child's buggy in the boot. In fairness I did have to remove the rear shelf.

We moved house 3 years ago. I didn't need a van ... this car did it all in a few trips.

• 2 months later...

Had 08 1.9tdi Octavia myself great car found seat a little low with aching knee joints after long drive. Changed to 12 Yeti 1.6tdi Dec 18 for higher posture. EGR replaced 2mts after buying it done on Skoda recall upgraded software only done short while. Sold my Octavia to my Niece who was driving a dangerous heap of junk she paid me weekly until she had car paid off and is delighted with it. Being a former Mechanic Auto electrician car was good buy. Just changed glowplug tonight using a timber dowel with hole drilled in it to thread new plug back in and used 1/4 drive long socket and ratchet to remove it without danger of over doing the torque on removal. Have Foxwell unit to clear codes up to 2012 yet does not reset service I use settings reset twice reset on service interval. Have not worked as Mechanic since 83 but I get interested in something when it's broke fix it and lose interest except to keep it going. Work as School Caretaker for 33yrs. 

15 hours ago, yetitoegone said:

Sold my Octavia to my Niece who was driving a dangerous heap of junk she paid me weekly until she had car paid off and is delighted with it.

Yes - i subbed all three daughters so that they had decent cars and it paid off.  One has held on to hers, a Mk2 Golf - new in 1989 and she can't bear to part with it.