Choosing an Octavia - stay in budget, or spend extra? 2007-2014 models...

overflew

Hi - I'm currently looking to buy an Octavia in New Zealand. I originally set out with a budget of ~NZ$8k, and I'm finding that for what seems like 'just a bit more' I can get a newer model - which I want to believe would get me more reliability / lower maintenance cost over time. I've poked around the Internet as much as I humanly can - I'm looking for some external perspective on splashing a bit more cash, vs. keeping it simple with my mostly-round-town trip needs.

Main points for me:

- Light mileage - I drive about 4.5k kms / year. Mostly inner city, periodic light motorway bursts (20mins each way), big road trip over summer.

- Looking to hold onto it for 5-7+ years.

- Low maintenance cost is important. (At the very least - I'm trying to get a picture of possible maintenance costs / 'total ownership cost')

- Looking for an engine with a bit of pep. (I've tried & really enjoyed the mk2 TSI 1.8 & mk2 TDI 2.0. The TDI 1.9 wasn't quite enough)

- I preferred the TSI on the test drive - but the mk2 TDI 2.0 was good fun to drive.

- Fuel economy isn't a main goal - small differences are fine, given my low mileage

I'm only looking at cars with a full service history, and will take it for a pre-purchase inspection.

The cars that come to market seem to usually have 120-130ks on them, with a 2014 156k example below.

Cars on the market in my area at the moment: (All have Elegance-ish trim, 1 owner)

- 2007 TDi 2.0, 130ks. - $7.5 (private sale) [Test drove & liked]

- 2012 TSI 1.8 wagon - 120ks - $11.5k (trade-in, wholesaler) [Test drove & liked]

- 2014 TSI 1.8 - 156ks - $12.5k (ex-fleet, dealer) [Trying out in a few days]

Financially, stretching to $11k is workable. Going a little further is possible - it's just unfamiliar territory shopping as the cars get a bit flasher.

For diesel - I see there's plenty to worry about with DPF, timing belt servicing, higher repair costs down the line. The 2007 example above just happens to super-tidy & looked after and the most in-budget so far.

Would love your input if pushing that $8k budget to ~$12k would likely get me 5-7 years of easier maintenance (and optionally, happier driving).

With your mileage I'd avoid diesel, but then the only diesel on your shortlist is a 2007 model so is unlikely to have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), but you should check to be sure.

The 2007 and 2012 models will both be MkII Octavia's, the 2014 will be an early MkIII.

The MkII and MkIII are very different cars, but don't assume the MkIII will be anymore reliable than an equivalent  MkII. Whilst cars are getting more reliable, it could also be argued that as they get more complex they're getting closer to becoming a consumable, much like washing machine, where often repairing them isn't worth the cost. As such they're being designed to be replaced rather than repaired.

If you are looking to keep the car 5-7 years, then the 2007 MkII will be close to 20 years old and it is likely it'll be well past the economical repair point, before you're wanting to replace it. I might even suggest that the 2012 car will be close too. It isn't just mileage that determines a cars lifespan, age plays a big part too, especially relating to perishable components such as rubbers, belts, hoses, suspension, corrosion etc.

I'd be tempted to go with the MkIII and pay the extra money, not necessarily because it is the better or more reliable option, just that'll it be younger and is most likely to last as long as you need it to.

The other benefit of the MkIII is improved connectivity, so if things like sat nav, hands-free telephony (Bluetooth), DAB, USB ports etc. are important to you then the newer the better. Although this also ticks the 'more to go wrong' and 'expensive to fix when they do' boxes.

Take a look around the two dedicated Octavia forums, lots of good buying advice to be had on there...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/169-skoda-octavia/

Good luck.