Limp mode and coil light

Hey all.

What a way to try and enjoy this wonderful weather when your car throws a complete wobbler at you.

Was enjoying a cracking drive through the Peak District when the revs dropped suddenly and thick black smoke started pouring from exhaust. Gearing was all to pot and the car was ultra sluggish. What's worse, the journey back was mostly uphill and way out in the sticks with no signal or internet bandwidth. Panic much!!

The smoke lasted about 20 mins then vanished however, revs were way down. At this point the coil symbol appeared and flashed.

Had to nurse car home all of 18 miles away. Got home (thank heavens), left it for a bit then turned ignition and the coil symbol on dash has gone. Took car for quick spin and limp mode gone with apparent response from turbo. No lag or judder.

Will re-check tomorrow.

I thought I'd fried the turbo with the black smoke episode initially. A friend is going to try source a reader for me so I can scan for issues.

Would you say from my description the DPF is on it's way out or is it the EGR?

I know its difficult without codes etc but I'm really starting to doubt the car now. It's just one thing after another and I've quite honestly had enough of it.

Thing is, we're going away next week and I need to use the car to do an airport pick up and don't want it to play up again. That would spell disaster.

Car is Octavia VRS CR170 2011 plate (mapped by Shark Performance stage 1).

Cheers.

15 hours ago, Stuart-h said:

Could be the glow plugs are starting to play up. 

Have you tried scanning for any fault codes?

A friend of mine is going to try to arrange something but it does depend on if the person he gets in touch with is both willing and available.

I honestly don't know what the issue is. The temp gauge was fine etc but that ridiculous black smoke and it crawling uphill 45 mins from my home was not a pleasant experience.

14 hours ago, Anddenton said:

If you're anywhere near New Mills give me a shout and I'll scan it with VCDS for you.

Thank you kindly for the offer. If I do get stuck or the other chap lets me down, I'll hit you up.

Just had a thought. When I first had my mk 2 estate diesel it had similar problems problems to what your discribeing. Ok it weren’t kicking out black smoke though. 

It could be the turbo is starting to fail or a boost pipe or a clip for the boost pipe is working its self loose. 

Hmmmmmm. I did ask myself if it was the turbo as it suddenly went very sluggish after a seriously good thrashing round the back lanes. No one in sight so perfect scenario for the old 'Italian tune up'.

Started motor this morning, no warning lights and car ticking over as normal. Quick drive and turbo does seem to be responding to standard throttle presses. 

Weird one tbh. I will keep you informed regards the scan and see what comes back. May be an idea to get the turbo looked at as a precaution.

• Thanks 1