Driving to Croatia , Island of Krk

We are driving to Croatia on Saturday 3AM to board a Channel Tunnel TRain at 5:20AM.

Usually I just go up from Calais in to Belguim, then around Brussels into Luxembourg, fill the car up, then down the B10 slow stretch into Germany, Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Munich A8, Salzburg, Villach, Ljubljana, then down to POstojna and into Croatia, 1070Miles.

I am thinking maybe I should try Reims, Metz, Strasbourg this year. I know it's a tolled road but is it any quieter or better than the Belgium/Luxembourg route (the pavement in quite bad in places and it's very busy) never driven on it before?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, teppin said:

How'd it go?

Really good. No bad accidents and hold ups and the road were relatively free flowing in Germany. We went though France in the end. Costs about 50 euro but great Roads and no traffic at all. 

We Are driving back tomorrow but  will stop for the night in Strasbourg as the timing of the Train across the channel is such that we either have to drive pretty much from Midnight till next afternoon to hit it on time or drive the day and sleep over and then do the last stretch through France in the morning. 

I paid the tolls for Austria online so they scan your Plate.  France is toll Booths and Slovenia a stick on vignette. 

Are you Planning to do it?

Edited by TonyTonic
Tupos
  • Thanks 1

No mate, was just curious, I like hearing about such adventures. I've never driven abroad actually. But we're planning on taking my Fabia to Brittany next year. 

19 minutes ago, teppin said:

No mate, was just curious, I like hearing about such adventures. I've never driven abroad actually. But we're planning on taking my Fabia to Brittany next year. 

Its great fun if you’re not in a Rush. Funnily enough I just saw a Russian plate Fabia with a massive roof box in Croatia. Must have been a hell of a drive. 

Just to add, the car performed brilliantly over 2700 miles. Not a drop of oil used. The average consumption was around 7.5l per 100Kms or 37MPG.  We were loaded up and I am not hanging around and always just above the speed limits so 140km/h in France, Austria and Slovenia and cruising at 150/160 in Germany with stints of 180kmh were traffic allows/