Strange noise from around engine

Darkademic

Hi there,

I bought a 2015 Skoda Yeti which has been delivered today and am loving it, but when I started up the car for my journey home after taking it for a spin I noticed a strange noise coming from under the bonnet.

It's a short grindy noise followed by a higher pitched whirr which loops at a consistent speed. It's very noticeable when just idling, and doesn't seem to be affected by revving, moving, changing gears etc. (just gets drowned out by engine/wind/road noise at speed).

The car is within warranty so it's less of a worry than it otherwise would be, but if anyone has any ideas about what it might be I'd really appreciate it.

I've attached a video. It's a bit hard to hear the sound I'm talking about over the normal engine idling noise, but it's there in the background.

Thanks!

It helps if you car is described more fully in your signature area.

It sounds like normal tappet noise to me which is commonly heard when you lift the bonnet with the engine running.

I find a piece of flexible hose used like a stethoscope can sometimes help locate the general area for a noise.

How many miles has it covered and does it have a full service history?.

Edited by Ryeman

40 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

It helps if you car is described more fully in your signature area.

It sounds like normal tappet noise to me which is commonly heard when you lift the bonnet with the engine running.

I find a piece of flexible hose used like a stethoscope can sometimes help locate the general area for a noise.

How many miles has it covered and does it have a full service history?.

Yea sorry I was going to edit some more info in but doesn't look like I've got an edit option.

It's a 1.2 TSI (manual), has done 34k miles and has a full service history (all at Skoda authorised service partners). Was only serviced 2 months ago.

The sound can be heard pretty clearly from inside the car with the doors closed (and bonnet shut). I'll see if I can narrow down where it's coming from tomorrow morning.

8 hours ago, Ryeman said:

If it has a cam ‘belt’ the tensioner bearing might be end of life.

A belt change should include a new one.

Judging from the picture,  that is the earlier 1.2 engine with a timing chain.

That "on/off" noise in the background is certainly odd,  and not normal.  Possibly the aircon compressor?

Edited by Zarniwoop

1 minute ago, Zarniwoop said:

Right.

The clutch thrust bearing is fairly obvious and easy to rule in or out.

3 hours ago, Zarniwoop said:

That "on/off" noise in the background is certainly odd,  and not normal.  Possibly the aircon compressor?

I was thinking A/C too - perhaps try switching it off and see if it changes.

Thanks for the replies. The noise seems to have gone away today.. maybe it only starts after driving for a while (I noticed it after about 15 mins of driving yesterday).

Tried fiddling with the AC and it seemed fine.

Will see how it goes and try to pinpoint it if it starts doing it again.

2 hours ago, Darkademic said:

Oh and it has a timing belt rather than a chain.

Who told you that?  On your original video that engine is the earlier 1.2 with a timing chain.  You can clearly see the bottom of the oil filter canister in the top left hand corner of the picture.  On the later,  cam belt engine,  the oil filter is in a completely different position. (I don't know where it is,  but it isn't THERE!)

Edited by Zarniwoop

6 minutes ago, Zarniwoop said:

Who told you that?  On your original video that engine is the earlier 1.2 with a timing chain.  You can clearly see the bottom of the oil filter canister in the top left hand corner of the picture.  On the later,  cam belt engine,  the oil filter is in a completely different position. (I don't know where it is,  but it isn't THERE!)

Ah okie, was just someone I sent it to, so they may've just got it wrong. They might have just assumed those from 2015 onwards had a belt.