(yet) another injector question: whine/ringing

Hi,

A couple of years back I had an injector failure, the electronic part. I was in Italy at the time and was fortunate enough to find a nearby garage that had the expertise to rebuild a working injector from the old, still-fine mechanical part and the electronic part from the incorrect injector that had been sent to them - just a day before the 15th-of-August national holiday where everything is closed for several days and hotels booked to the max.

Anyway, I'd been noticing a faint, high-pitched ringing noise, not to say whine, when cruising at speeds over approx. 115km/h (say from a a bit over 2000rpm in 5th gear), barely audible even with windows closed and ventilation almost off. IOW, highway speeds in not-too-hot summer weather.

I don't often drive under those conditions so I usually don't hear that kind of noise, but I did again last week, I think *before* I did a fill-up and added a dose of injector cleaner (Wynn's, both bought at a BP station :)).

Is this an early warning sign that I have another injector going south, or is it normal? The sound level is certainly low enough not to be alarming. My wife's 2018 Fabia makes a similar sound when the airco is active, but in my case it's unrelated to that, and definitely related to the engine (it stops when I release the throttle or go downhill with cruise-control on).

Are there any other warning signs that I can keep an eye out for (besides an evident lack of acceleration from low revs, not that the 1.6TDI has so much of that under normal conditions...)? Can a multi-brand workshop run quick tests to check injector health?

(I'll be doing a 500km round trip in 2 weeks to get a "barely legal" young puppy from the Netherlands, and really wouldn't want to break down then...)

Thanks!

Cant help other than that I am in the same region as you if you a VCDS scan or a second pair of ears would give you peace of mind.

Can a VCDS scan really detect any pending injector issues? If so it shouldn't hurt to meet up somewhere if you're not on the far side of our region (and it's cheaper than having the same check done at my local workshop who should have the "valise" too). I'm near Villers-Cotterets, where are you?

Ah so you are near to the Chateau Pierrefonds!

I am 10 minutes from A1 sortie 13.1 Peronne.

We will have to ask of others what VCDS might tell you, I know on mine there are measuring blocks for injector duration or quantity correction etc.

Just thought, I have the 3 VIN version and 2 are used, can you use measuring blocks on another vehicle or just read fault codes? I know that you cannot change parameters but can they be measured?

Yes, and you are near to the Familistère! :)

Pierrefonds is at about 20-25, just too far (or should I say too long) to be a place we go on a whim for an ice cream or other kind of treat. St. Quentin is indeed what I thought of when I wrote "on the far side of the region". I'll be passing the 13.1 exit on my way to the Netherlands, but by then it'd be a bit late to detect I have a failing injector ;)

I've fired up a new subject for the VCDS question:

Edited by RJVB

The Godin factory is some way from me, a place that I must visit one day though.

Stay in touch for mutual support perhaps, what sort of facilities do you have there?

All my proper pro stuff is in my UK workshop but I have gradually been increasing my toolkit here and can tackle most things albeit not in the best of conditions, just rebuilt my 1960's Bradbury Jackette trolley jack, have VCDS here and full aircon diagnostic, vacuum & recharge kit.

All my best building, DIY and woodworking stuff is in France and once again a lot is duplicated in the UK.

Contemplating moving to Beauvais and selling up in the UK so will one day have a lot of stuff to sell. Will retain the Hôtel here for the next few years at least after moving to Beauvais.

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Stay in touch for mutual support perhaps, what sort of facilities do you have there?

Me personally basically nothing, not even a garage... But, the VAG importer is headquartered in Villers-Cotterets, which is basically next-doors. Not that that means anything: even the official dealership that sits right next to the "holy" grounds has to cope with the same delays for parts...

All my best building, DIY and woodworking stuff is in France and once again a lot is duplicated

in the UK.

Do you do any of that professionally? My wife's in the process of buying a house here that will require a lot of renovation, so we're compiling a little list of professionals we might want to enlist some day.

Will retain the Hôtel here for the next few years at least after moving to Beauvais.

Hôtel particulier or one that takes guests?! If the former I might have to rephrase my remark above (using "ruin" instead of "house") ;)