Replacing window regulator, issue in removing the lock

Giovanna

So I read up in here as the cable of the electronic window regulator broke and the window is inside the door. I bought the panel as recommended. I've been trying to remove the lock as per Haynes manual and the instructions here:

but the handle does not stay in that open position and I turned the bottom screw a max of 4 times as I'm worried it getting loose and dropping out. Any other options. Can I cut the cable and resolder it? 

The top screw is not in there and there have been issues in the past with this door, so I wasn't surprised at that. 

But how do you unhook the cable from the inside? According to Haynes, I have to remove the lock bit to unhook the cable.. I see in the picture the cable is intact, but i cant get it off from the inside of the door trim.

You only need to unhook the cable at the door card end at the back of the plastic inner handle. Just move the outer cable round until you can pull it out of the hole in the plastic lever. There's really nothing to it. You don't need to touch the lock unit or its short cable at the outer door handle.

Edited by TMB

22 minutes ago, Giovanna said:

Right, i better try again when it is light then. I couldn't get it off, so consulted my Haynes which said to unhook the cable from the door lock.. Thanks!

The official way is to remove the ancillaries carrier panel complete with the lock unit. This is where you would need to disturb the short bowden cable and outer door handle. However, it's perfectly possible to remove the ancillaries carrier panel without touching the lock unit or its short bowden cable. You need to drill out the three plastic rivets on the panel and this frees the plastic bracket from the lock unit and it can then be discarded as it will no longer be needed (put tape over the rivet holes afterwards). If the window is trapped in the bottom of the door you will also need to drill out the four regulator pop rivets in order to get the panel off.

Regulator rivets (red circles) and plastic rivet locations (yellow circles)....

imageproxy-php.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

Silly point perhaps but if you are removing and changing the window actuator and panel then it doesn't matter if the lock securing ring falls off and drops in the door. You're going to be able to retrieve it and re-assemble it when you have the actuator panel off.