Hi from a new Rabid Spaceback SE Sport owner

Hi folks,

Just a quick hello from a new owner (I think the "hellos" get a bit lost on the main section).

After looking for a sensible, reasonably priced, family-ish sized car, with decent mpg and power... which I actually fit in at 6'4"! ... I narrowed it down to the Rapid, and a Spaceback in particular as my daughter is also tall, and a Sport for the engine and the pan roof :)

I'm coming from a turbo JDM Legacy GT estate, so it wasn't hard to improve on the mpg front, anyway!

Last week I finally picked up a 2016 car in racing blue, 18k miles and FSH, pretty much like new, bar one paint mark and a little bit of kerbing, and just under half new price.

Very happy with it so far, although it did take me a while to find the right position for the steering wheel. Coming from the Bilstien shocked Legacy, the poor ride on 17s that so many people talk about  is almost magic carpet to me! OK, it's not as fast, but it's more than fine for every day driving; the gear ratios seem well chosen as well to keep you moving quickly when you do want to make progress. Nice torque on the engine too for a tiddler. And I'm very impressed with the Amundsen ICE so my usual thing of fitting my own head unit with amped front comps and a sub will have to take a different path this time. 

No photos here yet as I've not had time to clean it properly - I'm not a total detailer, but I do like to wash/clay/polish/wax a couple of times a year and especially the first time with a new-to-me car.

And if you think I've mis-spelt the title, have a look at my project thread ;)

I was in a similar situation to you. I had a 2014 Rapid 1.2 then had a midlife crisis and bought a VW Scirocco R and turned into a complete maniac behind the wheel so decided to go back to the familiar Rapid, albeit an SE Sport 1.0 Spaceback. 

Coming from a quick car and enjoying driving I found it easy to get the most from this little engine without thrashing it.

6 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Coming from a quick car and enjoying driving I found it easy to get the most from this little engine without thrashing it.

Yes, I'm enjoying it now I've done a good few hundred miles... coming from a torquey auto, I have been caught out well off the curve/boost in the wrong gear a couple of times, but I'm really happy with how smooth and capable this engine is from maybe 1500/1600rpm up. A long drive this weekend (nearly 400 miles), 4 people and a boot full of kit, mainly left it in 6th for the whole m-way time with no problem at all and 49.5mpg :)