Water leaking into footwells

Henrif

Yesterday after yet another deluge of rain, I got into my car to drive home- heard a whooshing noise (it was dark so couldn't see without using a torch), then tons of water came in on the left hand side. Could hear it swooshing around as I drove. This morning tried to clear any debris from two holes I could see under the bonnet, but think water is trapped under the black plastic bit. Then more water this eve on the drivers side. Its raining again in Hove as I write:( 

Citigo Greentech. Love my car, 2014 reg. Sold my 85 VW Westafalia camper this summer, smugly thinking how glad not to have anymore, as so much water leaked inside and always a worry 😞 Now another worry!! Help please.

Bad luck; I think you are right that some drain holes have got blocked. Probably leaf debris - do you park outside within 10m if trees? The full-width plastic strip below the wipers is supposed to channel water away, but the problem is that it is also the air intake for air circulation, so I bet that is how water gets into the cabin, but then again, a pollen filter should block it to some extent.

I'm 1500 miles away from my car at present, but I imagine the plastic 'drain' can be popped off to reveal tubes or nozzles that are blocked....

• Like 1

I have a similar issue but not quite as bad......

Past few mornings, i've noticed a small wet patch on the drivers mat.  I originally thought it was maybe just the residual water i had on my shoes, but i'm sure this is not the case.

Since i'm at it, i find ALL my interior windows mist up very badly, and it can take upwards of 5-10 mins for the front windscreen to fully demist before i can drive off.

On 06/11/2019 at 17:18, freemansteve said:

Bad luck; I think you are right that some drain holes have got blocked. Probably leaf debris - do you park outside within 10m if trees? The full-width plastic strip below the wipers is supposed to channel water away, but the problem is that it is also the air intake for air circulation, so I bet that is how water gets into the cabin, but then again, a pollen filter should block it to some extent.

I'm 1500 miles away from my car at present, but I imagine the plastic 'drain' can be popped off to reveal tubes or nozzles that are blocked....

Thank you - and yes you may be right. A few other posts with similar problems and solutions (tho not had time to check yet, and so my car gets even wetter, with towels not to soak up the rain. I feel a complaint to Skoda coming on... 😞

@Garyman Yes- I think you have the same issue. I would watch and check the carpets and mats? If not done so. Also windows de misting is an issue for me, has been for a while. Maybe water has been getting in for longer than thought? It shouldn't take that long to de mist tho should it? I have tried using the aircon in winter and that has helped last winter, but this one, with all this rain, I think a cloth/towel is the best help. 

I am really peed off, and if you or anyone is interested I think we have an issue with Skoda and poor design? 

I called the dealer I bought from and they said- never heard of such an issue, and would be £80 to have a look, plus then whatever extra to solve the issue! 

It's quite a common fault on other makes of car, not just Skoda. Drains get blocked, water gets inside the car. It could be the scuttle/plenum, sunroof, doors, boot. On some cars, it damages ECUs and other expensive electronics.

I had the same problem with my last small car - a Fiat Panda that I bought secondhand.

The scuttle/plenum drains were blocked, and water would get drawn into the heating/ventilation system. The car was always damp, and it was impossible to demist the windows, as the heater was always blowing damp air into the car.

I cleared the drains, and the car dried out after a couple of weeks.

I also had to seal up the airfilter box with silicone, and fit a plastic deflector plate, as the drains were directly over the airbox. If left alone, water would fill the airbox and get sucked into the engine. That was a bad piece of design by Fiat.

Will get some pics tomorrow morning but I've finally purchased those dehumidifier pad things as recommended on the other thread on Amazon prime so hopefully that will help.

Will also try to clear the drain holes on the bonnet/ windscreen area but i dont live near trees and whatnot so dont think they are blocked but no harm in clearing them and see if it helps.

failing that, i will contact my local dealer and see if they can have a look at it but i'm not paying a penny!

• Like 1

@Garyman @Clockworks

Its bloody raining again here. I haven't had time to look at the problem as when I get up its dark and when I leave work its dark. No time in the day  to check it (I am a school teacher and breaks are very short).

Please send pics Gary! I will have to sort at the weekend if I can. What is the other thread on Amazon? I don't have Amazon prime.

Clockworks- so your current car doesn't have the problem? I am now worried that I will screw my electrics, however - if it is a common fault then I do feel that Skoda (or which ever common brand has the problem), should rectify the problem. It is a design fault. I teach Design and Technology, this seems like really bad design! 

14 hours ago, Henrif said:

@Garyman @Clockworks

Its bloody raining again here. I haven't had time to look at the problem as when I get up its dark and when I leave work its dark. No time in the day  to check it (I am a school teacher and breaks are very short).

Please send pics Gary! I will have to sort at the weekend if I can. What is the other thread on Amazon? I don't have Amazon prime.

Clockworks- so your current car doesn't have the problem? I am now worried that I will screw my electrics, however - if it is a common fault then I do feel that Skoda (or which ever common brand has the problem), should rectify the problem. It is a design fault. I teach Design and Technology, this seems like really bad design! 

No, my Citigo doesn't leak at all.

My previous Panda leaked until I cleared the scuttle drains.

My previous Touareg leaked into the tailgate.

A friend had a BMW that leaked into the boot and and the rear footwells. That was the "dangerous" one, as there are electronic modules below the boot floor and under the seats. Water can damage these modules, which are expensive to replace.

I don't think that the Citigo has any design faults as such, you just need to keep the drain tubes clear so that water can run away safely.

It's not just leaves that can block the tubes. When you use the wipers to clear the windscreen, most of the water will run down into the scuttle/plenum. Any dirt or mud that is on the windscreen gets in there too, and this can build up and block the drain tubes. If the water cannot drain away (because the tubes are blocked) it can get into the car through the heater box.

Clear the drains, and there's a good chance that your problem will stop. It's a good idea to check the drains every year.

I had an Octavia a few years ago and it had a design error where they routed the rear washer tubing over the module that controlled the rear parking sensors and rather daftly put a hose coupling in right above the module - 10 points for guessing what happened.... But my new Citigo seems to be remaining dry despite the damp and gusty weather here in Penzance - even when I use the rear washer!

On 14/11/2019 at 13:13, Clockworks said:

No, my Citigo doesn't leak at all.

My previous Panda leaked until I cleared the scuttle drains.

My previous Touareg leaked into the tailgate.

A friend had a BMW that leaked into the boot and and the rear footwells. That was the "dangerous" one, as there are electronic modules below the boot floor and under the seats. Water can damage these modules, which are expensive to replace.

I don't think that the Citigo has any design faults as such, you just need to keep the drain tubes clear so that water can run away safely.

It's not just leaves that can block the tubes. When you use the wipers to clear the windscreen, most of the water will run down into the scuttle/plenum. Any dirt or mud that is on the windscreen gets in there too, and this can build up and block the drain tubes. If the water cannot drain away (because the tubes are blocked) it can get into the car through the heater box.

Clear the drains, and there's a good chance that your problem will stop. It's a good idea to check the drains every year.

Thank you- I do have heated seats so hope no damage done there. 

I wonder if there is any info in the handbook? I haven't looked but will spend time today looking into the problem and rectify. The fan has sounded a bit dodgy this week so fingers crossed all ok. I haven't had a newish car for a long time, and surprised that these leaks are common. I do still think its a design fault! My 30 year old VW Westfalia campervan had a few leaks, but she was 30 years old, I didn't expect it with a new car! Guess I do need to maintain it a bit more. I am lazy and not that interested. Hey ho!