Octavia vrs mk3 manual gearbox issue

Hello, I haven’t been able to find any answers or suggestions about this.

I have a 2016 mk3 octavia vrs in manual. When accelerating hard through the gears, it occasionally jumps down a gear without me doing so, for example, if I’m in 4th gear and put my foot down, the car slips back into 3rd gear even though I’m in 4th (the physical lever is in 4th). Then it seems to catch up with itself into 4th gear. Even the display shows the gear change.

This only happens occasionally and the gear change and clutch feel fine so I’m very confused as to what it maybe.

Any suggestions or advice on what the issue maybe would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dave

Unless your gear stick is physically disconnecting or moving during this scenario, it's 99% more likely to be the clutch slipping as Kenny suggested.

If you've never had the experience before, it's very weird and - as you say - seems like it goes into another gear. What's actually happening is the pressure plate on the clutch slips under hard acceleration, allowing the revs to increase but not transferring this to actual driving energy via the clutch. The display 'shows' what gear you're in based on a basic algorithm the car runs by comparing engine revolutions and clutch revolutions (I believe) to accurately estimate what gear you're in. A slipping clutch will trick it into thinking you're in a lower gear as it changes the normal state / data that the car is used to.

I've had this issue more commonly since remapping mine, and also when accelerating hard on the motorway in inappropriate gears (i.e. in 5th...) due to being lazy.

Some suggestions for managing it are:

• More gradual acceleration with pedal
  • (In conjunction with above) Switch to VRS / Sport mode which provides improved pedal feel / mapping on the accelerator)
  • Change down to a lower gear (the car likes to be revved a bit, so it's good to push through the torque)

Keep an eye on it; if you notice that it starts to do it more often in even lower gears, you may need the clutch replacing (depends on mileage and the life the car's had) - but it's costly in manual labour.

• Like 1

That’s brilliant advice, thank you very much. I’ve only had the car a few weeks and when driving slightly more with care, its absolutely fine. 

I’m thinking about getting the dtuk tuningbox but may hold back for a bit.

thanks again for your advice.

• Like 1

Yes mate, I’ve accepted now, bugger! Well going to upgrade it, any suggestions on a decent upgrade? Been reading about Sachs and Helix, any other decent ones out there worth considering? 

11 hours ago, Clarry said:

any suggestions on a decent upgrade

Heard good things and Brisky (and VW) community has experience of both Sachs organic clutch and Helix too. I've been keeping an eye on both, although leaning towards the Helix version due to discussions around using a sintered clutch for daily use.

TBH I'm going to ask my tuning garage what their opinion is - it's not slipping too much yet, and as I said it's an expensive job of switching it round due to labour costs etc.; would rather wait until I have additional things to add on.

Yes I've heard that the Helix is easier to live with for normal driving. I got the DTUK tuning box today and the car has become a different beast altogether. Clutch slips from 3rd gear onwards at high revs when flooring it. I think i'm going to take the plunge and get the Helix.

3 hours ago, encephalopathy said:

budget around a grand for clutch and fitting. i have uprated sachs one. a bit heavier than stock but no more slip. don't replace with stock clutch if you are planning to remap. has the car already been remapped?

Not remapped but have the DTUK tuning box https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tuning/car/skoda/octavia-iii-vrs-from-2012-onwards/2-0-tsi-220ps162kw-1984-ccm-12/#go installed now (very impressed with it btw) it’s going to have to wait until after Xmas but will be getting it done.