Rapid Spaceback: Five Years of Ownership (and counting)

Afternoon all

Been trying to find the time to write this post for a few months. In early October I made the final payment on my Rapid Spaceback, marking five years of ownership and the point at which the car is finally all mine :)

My Spaceback is a January 2014 model, one of the very first in the UK, and it pulled about six months service as a demonstrator before I rescued it from a terrible main dealer (one which subsequetly had its franchise pulled). Over five years of use (initially as a daily driver for commuting for work, for the last four years its been a weekend and evening car for personal use only), I've concluded the following:

The good bits:

• Fairly economical to drive (averaging about 42.5 mpg)
  • Cheap to service (if you steer clear of main dealers)
  • Decent size boot
  • Amazing rear legroom
  • Handles well
  • Plenty of power from the 105TSI petrol engine
  • Amundsen Nav is good (retrofitted to replace a Swing) and integrates well with dash and steering controls

The bad bits:

• Uncomfortable front seats
  • Trim rattles
  • Rear doors filling with water (this was eventually fixed)
  • Takes too long to warm up and produce hot air from the heater matrix (nothing wrong with the car or the thermostat - which has been replaced - it's just a quirk)
  • Noisy factory fitted tyres (replaced them with better/quieter ones)
  • MDI interface is very fiddly to use
  • Big issues with moisture in the cabin (I have to use dehumidifier bags most of the year)
  • Top of centre armrest broke twice (latch once, hinges once - both replaced with stronger and cheaper non-OEM parts)

Like others here, I've taken the opportunity to mod and upgrade my car with OEM features as well as accessories and my own custom mods. In the last year I was able to take advantage of a lot of price cuts on previously expensive genuine accessory items as dealers were clearing out stock ahead of the launch of the Scala:

The mods:

• Genuine Skoda raised boot floor
  • Genuine Skoda under-seat umbrella holders fitted to both front seats (used for water bottles)
  • Amundsen Sat Nav retrofit
  • Genuine Skoda Boot luggage hooks
  • Genuine Skoda Boot nets
  • Genuine Skoda Boot storage cubby inserts
  • Genuine Skoda Boot divider tray
  • Genuine Skoda passenger door rubbish bin
  • Genuine Skoda 2019 cup holder phone holder (which can hold an iPhone 11 Pro Max)
  • Genuine Skoda washer bottle cover with integrated funnel
  • Genuine Skoda parcel shelf net retrofit
  • Hidden 12v power socket fitted behind the dashboard
  • 4G Wi-Fi hotspot fitted behind the dashboard
  • Amazon Echo Dot fitted (powered via MDI)
  • Dashcam with hidden power cable
  • Audi boot parcel holders
  • Audi back seat storage box (bought becase it matches the fabric of the car seats)
  • Wireless phone charger fitted in centre armrest

All in all, the Spaceback has been extremely reliable and economical. While some parts have been built down to a very low price, the core stuff appears to be put together to a high standard and it has been robust (even surviving being rear-ended twice by an idiot in an Audi in a McDonalds car park with no damage whatsoever). Some of the aspects I have flagged as bad I know were addressed in the facelift (like the uncomfortable seats, the lack of a seat valance on the front seats), but a fair few were not, which likely led to the introduction of the Scala as a chance to learn and improve.

Would I buy another Skoda - absolutely! But for now I have no plans to get rid of the Spaceback. At the time of writing it's only done 42,000 miles, so it's got plenty of life left in it.

Happy to answer any questions about mods, upgrades, retrofits and general ownership.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by chrisgreen
  • Like 2

Well done Chris. You have obviously got the right idea about cars. And that idea is that if it suits you then you keep it and enjoy it until it becomes unreliable when you change it. I am on my fourth which is testament to having more money than sense no doubt!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2020 at 18:53, potatoesgrowontrees said:

HI Chris

I'm interested about having a wireless charger in the car. Care to tell more about your armrest solution? Thanks!

Hi

Apologies for the delayed response. The armrest wireless charging solution is very straightforward.

At the core of it is a wireless charging pad. there are two options I've tried, both fit perfectly snug fit and are reliable, it all comes down to preference on what you want to do with the wires.

Option 1:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Fast-Charging-QI-Wireless-Charger-Mat-Non-Slip-Pad-Holder-For-IPhone-Samsung/363009736572?hash=item548510ff7c:g:6G8AAOSwdvxdwOiX

This solution is great because the cable comes out of the long side of the charging pad (left or right), rather than the short side (top of bottom), and the hardwired USB cable is already a flat cable, so it effortlessly runs out of the side of the armrest with top cover closed without fouling or bending the cover. It is then your choice whether you just plug it straight into the 12v accessory socket, or hide the cabling under the centre console trim and eventually terminate it at a concealed accessory socket behind the trim (like the one I have behind the drivers side corner of the dash)..

Option 2:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Wireless-PowerWave-Alignment-Certified/dp/B07WV1J8QL/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=anker+wireless+charger&qid=1594825015&sr=8-12

This is a very well made unit, more expensive than option 1, but worth it. Also supports fast charging. However, the removable USB cable comes out of the short side (top or bottom). I replaced the supplied cable with a flat cable, and after removing and refitting the top cover of the armrest, I was able to feed the cable out of the back of the armrest through the hinge. In my case, it then disappears under the centre console trim, runs to the front of the car where it connects to the hidden accessory socket behind the dash (which is a switched supply so goes off with the ignition, unlike the accessory socket by the handbrake).

In both cases, you just lay the rectangle wireless charging pad inside the armrest. The rubber feet on both is usually enough to stop it moving, but a bit of black tack on the back will do the job without damaging the lining inside the armrest.

I will grab some pictures when I am next out at the car.

Chris

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, danieldur said:

@chrisgreen, can you please share with me which part you used for "Genuine Skoda under-seat umbrella holders fitted to both front seats (used for water bottles)" ?

Thanks!

The part is 5JA 861 388 9B9

2 hours ago, WolfyWesty said:

How did you wire up the dash camera? Looking to do the same with mine instead of having it plugged into the cigarette lighter. 

Very simple - got a 12v accessory socket with a cable already attached - like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154044491878

Connect it to the fuse board Under the steering wheel using a piggy back blade connector, tapping off the rear wiper fuse. The ground goes to a screw on the bottom of the fuse board.

The 12v socket is then stashed behind the dashboard, by removing the drivers-side side panel on the dash (it just pops off, held on by three clips). There is tonnes of room in there for the socket and any excess cables from the camera charging lead. The cable for the charging lead runs up the drivers side A panel and along the roof lining, popping out level with the rear view mirror. All completely neat and hidden and zero trim damage. 

Have a look at my previous posts for more info and pictures. 

Thanks

Chris