Possible Belt issue?

Otto1234

Hello...sorry for the very non-specific nature of this...i have a 2010 Fabia, 1.6 diesel.....it's started to misbehave a little, fuel economy has dipped by about 10-15%, when idling it has become a bit rough and the noise of the engine has definitely changed, at first i thought it might be something exhaust related but actually had a proper listen this morning and sounds like a belt of some description...if this might be an expensive repair i think i will try to part ex it and get rid of it, is there a small possibility this is an easy fix?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Otto1234 said:

Hello...sorry for the very non-specific nature of this...i have a 2010 Fabia, 1.6 diesel.....it's started to misbehave a little, fuel economy has dipped by about 10-15%, when idling it has become a bit rough and the noise of the engine has definitely changed, at first i thought it might be something exhaust related but actually had a proper listen this morning and sounds like a belt of some description...if this might be an expensive repair i think i will try to part ex it and get rid of it, is there a small possibility this is an easy fix?

Thanks

Is it definitely not just a routine DPF regen? 

A different idle sound and a drop in economy are usual characteristics during DPF regens, but I’m not sure about the belt sound.

Does the engine fan turn on while it’s doing this?

Any other symptoms such as smells?

Also, has the emissions ‘fix’ been carried out?

Hello - I don’t think it’s the engine regen as it’s sort of done it continually for the last 8-10 hours of driving over about 500 miles and no fan going with it. 

There was once a bit of an odd smell but I’m not sure if I was putting my mind to something that wasn’t to do with the car.  

I don’t think the fix has been carried out (bought second hand)

46 minutes ago, Otto1234 said:

Hello - I don’t think it’s the engine regen as it’s sort of done it continually for the last 8-10 hours of driving over about 500 miles and no fan going with it. 

There was once a bit of an odd smell but I’m not sure if I was putting my mind to something that wasn’t to do with the car.  

I don’t think the fix has been carried out (bought second hand)

You can check to see if it has been done by entering your vin number on a Skoda recall checker. 

I think your right that it doesn’t sound like regens. 

Do you have an OBD scanner?

On 30/12/2019 at 21:25, Otto1234 said:

I will check the vin tomorrow, I don’t have an OBD to hand but I can get hold of one - I haven’t had any errors up on the dash, what should I be looking for from the OBD?

There could be many things that don’t cause an engine warning light but may be relevant, so honestly I’m not sure what to look for. 

Usually though, the OBD will come up without about 4-8 codes for various electrical components, but it should be clear which ones pertain to the issues in question. 

Most smartphone connected readers allow you to google the code for more information.