Found a Superb Mk1, moving on from Octy Mk1, help

Vladzor

Hi guys,

I don't post very often but follow the forum usually. 

Currently running an Octy Mk1 ASV, but it's getting close to 230K miles, and I don't think another cambelt is a good investment considering all the other things starting to fail on it.

Found a good Superb Mk1 AWX, all seems fine, 70ish K miles, cambelt done recently. Found a post https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/160276-cambelt-on-my-19-tdi/ where I found out how to check the actual cambelt, and also read quite a lot on the various issues and checklists, put together a checklist of my own.

Here's the link to the actual car https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001286686857?advertising-location=at_cars&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&fuel-type=Diesel&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.9&maximum-mileage=90000&minimum-badge-engine-size=1.9&modal=tech-spec&newApplicationVersion=true&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=7&postcode=ch473ab&price-to=2000&radius=1500&revisit=true&sort=price-asc&transmission=Manual&selectedDid=1221408#db-tab-2 

Any opinions or issues that I need to check, that haven't been mentioned already? 

It's a 200 mile drive for me to see the car, so I'd rather make sure it's the right one. Guy said there is a genuine invoice for the cambelt etc. so not too worried about that. 

Thanks guys 

Check there is no damp on the carpets or evidence of water on the headlining.  Water can get in from plenum pollen filter housing, ECU housing, sunroof drains, door seals.  Ask owner if the plenum filter housing has been resealed.  In an ideal world get a look / feel under the carpet, though that can be hard. 

Check all the interior electrics work (lights, seats, etc).  Though it is tempting to put these sort of things down as minor issues, they're often a sign waster has been in the car and not adequately fixed.

Check that you don't get repetitive clicking sounds from the dash when changing the air positions and heater settings on the climatronic.  There are several servos buried at various places in the dash / footwells / air handler box which are really really annoying to change and do fail.

Sqealling or knocking from the front under deceleration can mean a new alternator pulley or damper are required.  

If you do buy and get a good one, enjoy! :) I was commenting to my father in law how much I actually missed my old girl now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

In the meantime the one I was after initially has sold, however another has popped up, that matches what I'm after. Going to see tomorrow, will post if I do get it. Thanks very much for the tips, I will make sure all electrics work. The alternator tip is good as well, my Octavia did things like that as well, when the damper on the accessory belt goes, it starts taking pulleys with it. Good to hear VAG haven't sorted that issue in the 1.9PD either 😛

Didn't work out, car was advertised as cambelt changed, opened the cambelt cover and date stamp was 2010, fake service history. Would have paid 1K and done the cambelt, as the car was good otherwise, but guy wasn't letting it go. He'll probably find a sucker to believe the service stamps unfortunately.