Rear door lock on my 2015 Citigo stopped working

citigoowner

The rear door lock on my 2015 Citigo stopped working. Pressing the button on the rear door had no effect and the button didn’t seem to move, it was as if it was jammed.

I searched on line and found some info on how to remove the rear door trim panel.

A T25 Torx screw is in the handle recess and then a VW tool consisting of some plastic wedges is recommended to prise off the panel. Luckily I found a picture of this online where the vendor had included dimensions. I made up a couple of wood wedges to do the same job.

With the trim off I was able to take the two pin connector off the switch. Bridging across it with a bit of wire confirmed that it was just a dodgy switch, the door lock mechanism worked ok. The door latch must be closed for testing.

Very confusing is that when I removed the T27 Torx screw (yes, it’s a different size from the trim handle recess screw) holding the switch in place, part of the switch assembly came loose and rattled about in the door.

This part which came loose is made up of two pieces, metal and plastic, screwed together with a LH thread (the screws holding the trim handle and the lock itself are normal RH thread)

The loose part is very detailed with alignment markings and little spring inserts but it doesn’t seem to do anything other than act as a spacer. The lugs on the plastic part engage in some lugs on the main switch but it’s a very loose fit, that’s why it fell off as I removed the switch from the door.

When you are removing the switch be careful of the o-ring type seal if you have to prise the switch out. Although I’d taken the bolt out the switch was firmly stuck to the paintwork and it took a bit of effort to move it.

I eventually worked out that the switch had stopped working because of muck and gunge which had clogged up around the button. Smacking the button side down hard on the bench dislodged a lot of muck from round the button which seemed to move much more freely than before. Back into the car for a test and it worked without the spacer piece. I think the spacer is just an anti-rattle add-on and perhaps stops the heavy-fisted from over tightening the fixing screw and denting the rear panel.

Saved myself the mechanic time and probably the cost of a new switch (£60) if I’d taken it to the dealer.

trim removal wedges.jpg

spacer.jpg

testing switch without spacer.jpg

Heya!

I'm in the process of looking into my dodgy button as well :) Any chance you could share that photo with dimension for the VW Tool to remove the panels? Or the link to the article which described how to take them off?

Thanks!

/Lars

2 hours ago, domesjo said:

Heya!

I'm in the process of looking into my dodgy button as well :) Any chance you could share that photo with dimension for the VW Tool to remove the panels? Or the link to the article which described how to take them off?

Thanks!

/Lars

I'm attaching two pics of the T10383 trim removal tool and the clip positions on the rear door.  Hope this helps.

t10383 tool.jpg

rear door trim.jpg

• Like 1