Superb Hunting

Craigyboy9

After a month of head banging, reading, talking and basically changing my mind every morning that I got up. I’ve decided to buy a mk2 Superb Estate. We’ve got a 4 month old baby and before the Mrs goes back to work I’m going to have to get rid of the trusty 59 plate Caddy Maxi. It’s been absolutely great, better than any car I’ve ever owned. Cheap to run for the commute to the fire station, great for DIY projects and out standing in the fact I can get a sports bike and all my crap that goes to trackdays in it. Unfortunately it can’t handle me, the Mrs & the boy at the same time. 

I started out thinking Superb and then looked at BMW 5’s, Merc E class, Audi A6’s Peugeot 508’s, Passat’s  and today I think I’ve finally settled back where I first began. This will be my first ŠKODA. Mainly had VW’s and BMW’s over the last 15 years or so. 

I’ve got £9500 cash max to spend, as whatever I get back from the van will pay off the small loan outstanding that I used to buy it. I’m thinking at my budget I’m looking at 2012-2014, ideally I’d like the Elegance, it has to be DSG as the Mrs can’t drive manuals due to an industrial injury on her left arm. I’m doing about 14k a year, mostly motorway, but the vast majority are diesels anyway. 

I’ve got the money in my bank, and I’m thinking that I should be able to pick up a real bargain when lockdown gets lifted. As there’s going to be dealers desperate to get some money through the books. Which would allow me either to get a newer car, or keep a grand or so back in the bank for a just in case fund, if a DPF goes. 

Would love to hear any ownership stories both good and bad, and any advice would be most appreciated. 

Cheers Craig

£10,000 will get you a 100,000 mile albeit newer MkIII, or are you preferring a lower mileage older MkII?

Thoughts vary and therefore divide opinion, but I tend to lean towards the newer / higher mileage side of the fence when it comes to reliability / reduced running costs.

All cars have their inherent faults, but the Superb has an extremely good record so you have to be really unlucky to end up with a dud.

As with any used car purchase, don't let your heart over rule your head. It should always be about condition, in a world of unknowns this is your best indicator of how a car has been driven and looked after all of its life.

After condition...

A car that's been on fixed service intervals, rather than variable, would be top of my list. Fixed equals 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever is reached first, variable is up to 2 years or 18,000 miles. Variable is fine on a car doing bigger mileage, as long as it it has had fresh oil once a year.

DSG gearbox, depending on which one it has fitted ensure it has had the gearbox oil renewed accordingly. Irrespective of when it has been done, when you get the car have it done again, but ensure the filter is replaced, something the main dealers don't do.

Avoid the panoramic sunroof, they almost all leak at some point in their life and cause untold electrical issues. This unfortunately rules out the Laurin & Klement (at least for me), which is a shame as I'd love the heated windscreen.

When buying 6-8 year old cars then there will be tons of dogs out there, take your time and be prepared to go and see lots of them.

The MkII suffers from wheel alignment issues, search sawtoothing, so when looking be sure to run your hand around the inner edge of both rear tyres. Not a deal breaker, mine sawtoothed but it only became apparent as the tyres were close to end of life anyway.

As strange as it sounds, be wary of low mileage cars, they'll likely have done short journey's all their life so you'll be firmly into EGR and DPF issues.

Check if it has has the Skoda EA189 emissions recall done. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it did ruin some early adopters with component failures and a reduction in driving smoothness.

An example of the many dogs...

image.png.0e1920809bb26ba1179928a468288308.png

As much as I love the MkII (I ran one for 8 years / 170,000 miles), if I was in your position I'd be hunting down a MkIII.

Here's an SE L (better specced than the MkII Elegance), just over 3 years old, 30,000 miles a year all but guarantees and easy motorway life, Michelin tyres suggests an ex-fleet / company car so properly serviced, and heated rear seats too, a bonus for the kids when they're older :D

image.png.844991d01bcf559d5827b499ce3a68c8.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

In 2018 my Dad took the plunge having listened to me and having had lots of rides of my 3 Superb Mk2's and bought himself a 6 year old 2012 Superb Elegance Estate with the 170PS (168BHP) diesel engine with the 6 speed DSG box. 2 years later he loves it and even tows his caravan (when he was allowed to before lockdown). I've driven his car and he paid £8,500 from a dealer with FSSH with 66,000 miles on the clock and has no issues in the 2 years he's owned it. Being a retired engineer he decided to refurbish the 18" alloys and fit the later black/chrome wheel centre caps plus later bonnet/boot badges also. I think now you should be able to afford the 2014 facelift model I owned which IMHO looks even better than the 2008-2013 earlier Mk2's.:thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks guys very informative and helpful. I’ve got a refundable deposit on one with a local Skoda dealer. It’s older 2013, elegance. 2 owners, demo then 1 owner and looked after by the same dealer. Annual servicing, low mileage, 52 k kind of against Silvers advice. Oops!, but it’s under £8k. I’m thinking I’ll keep it for a couple of years and see how I get on with it. By then the Mrs will be back at work and if I’ve been converted I’ll be able to afford a newer mk3. Would think it’ll still be worth £4K in a couple of years. From the test drive I did a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed them. At the end of the day, I’ll keep looking  and if something better comes up. I can still walk away. 

• Like 3

Having had plenty of Skodas, 2x MK1 Octavia, on 2nd MK1 Fabia vRS,  MK2 FL octavia VRs, Wife had a MK2 Fabia 1.2, we currently have an L&K Yeti 👍👍👍 alongside my vRS.

I have decided that I now want some comfort and am waiting for lockdown to be lifted as have found a 2015 L&K Superb, 120K miles - 1 owner ,150 Diesel , DSG, FSH , all paperwork, I did look around and could have got lower miles lesser spec model for same price but am fed paying the ever increasing annual tax , this is £20  which swung it for me.
I have done all the checks and have access to someone on here who has had Superbs since they came out - IIRC, so can pick their brains for niggly bits.

Cragyboy9 - suggest you keep looking as plenty come out each day, specially as it looks like I will be paying around 1500 more than you are going to pay.

It’s definitely a tough one, of course I’d prefer a mk3, but it’s going to take the whole budget and a bit more. Which would be ok, assuming that the car doesn’t have any problems. That’s what makes me worry a bit. If it does have a problem. I’m not going to be in a position to To pay for it, so I’d have to credit card it. Whereas if I spend £8k I have that £1500 in my account if I need it and if I don’t then I’ve got a good deposit for my next car. 
move admired the Superb for a few years now. Really looking forward to seeing how I get in with it. 

On 11/04/2020 at 15:58, lfc958 said:

I have decided that I now want some comfort and am waiting for lockdown to be lifted as have found a 2015 L&K Superb, 120K miles - 1 owner ,150 Diesel , DSG, FSH , all paperwork, I did look around and could have got lower miles lesser spec model for same price but am fed paying the ever increasing annual tax , this is £20  which swung it for me.

How much is the tax on the Fabia / Yeti? £200?

I've never understood the lower tax argument when looking at new cars. £180 a year saving is a rounding error in the overall running cost of a car.

image.png.57224a40cff7eee633878f4711ae4ac7.png

The Superb, especially in L&K guise is definitely as comfy as cars get so they're a good choice.

Just be wary of the panoramic sunroofs, leakier than a leaky thing!

Even though my Sportline Plus Superb's interior is made with many dark colours and has standard privacy glass from the B pillar backwards I find the ambient lighting on the dash and doors plus the clever small LED interior lighting lift the feeling of ambience particularly at night and do not actually miss the large glass electric sunroof on my previous Octavia Vrs245.B)

• Like 1

I have the Yeti L&K its now 6 years old and sunroof is fine.

VED on the vRS is going to be around £250( 2007) , and the Yeti is going to be £260 (2014).

• Like 1