Fuel Injection Seal

Hi, owner of 2017 Kodiaq petrol, purchased dealership demonstrator so lots of extras. Coming to end of warranty, recently serviced and mot. Collected car no sound, the signal booster under passenger seat faulty. Replaced under warranty. Collected car yesterday and fuel injection seal went, towed back to dealership covered by warranty. Anyone else had similar issues? Happy with dealership reponse and Skoda but a few too many things gone bang on end of warranty period!

Annoying as it is , things do go wrong or break, especially on a piece of machinery that spends its life moving. If those are the only two faults you've had since new, I think you're not doing badly.

How many miles has the car done and what sort of life has it had ?

Thanks for reply, 31000 miles. Not a hard life! Used mainly to get work (motorway miles). And carrying bikes now and again (use tow bar mounted) at weekends.

String of events one after another! Mechanic mentioned 3rd car in dealership with the fuel injection seal!

Whilst VW and their affiliates have had a reputation for using quality materials, I believe that applies more to the materials you can see and touch e.g inside the cabin.

I think some things you can't see aren't any better than other manufacturers and if surveys are to be believed, VAG reliability isn't as good as it's been perceived in the past.

VAG source parts from outside sources and sometimes the quality of those parts isn't the best.

A few years ago the VAG had many failures of coil packs across all their makes. They obviously had a poor batch from somewhere - it happens I'm afraid.

I imagine there'll be a lot of Friday cars coming down the line post Covid.🙃

Hope you don't get any more problems.

It's just life sometimes.

Skoda always tend to do well in the reliability surveys. The accuracy of these is often questioned, but it does still suggest Skoda fare better than most others.

The Kodiaq is well proven, still relatively new, but lacking in significant mechanical weaknesses.

The 1.4 TSI too is a pretty robust engine. Being around for a long time in various guises it is well proven to be durable.

A quick Google search of "1.4 TSI injector seal" saw no forum complaints, which is unusual and might suggest your failure is very much a one-off.

Out of curiosity did they replace all four injector seals, or just the leaking one?

Do you know if the injectors might have been disturbed or removed in the past, perhaps a recall of some kind?

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the replies and the friendly welcome to the forum, great source. Still love my 'Skodiaq' as son calls it almost 3 years on.

• Like 1

No other work carried out on vehicle other than servicing. Not sure how many being replaced, only happened yesterday. Going to garage later for courtesy car and will ask.

Lack of knowledge i thought i thought there only was one seal. 

Mechanic had one look and knew right away. Repaired two other vehicles just prior to lockdown.

• Like 1

@silver1011  Has it right on the nail with the last of the Euro 6 1.4 TSI's.

They are so good actually that now in Australia, North America and maybe other non European Countries VW Group are using them again 'or still.'.

Reliable engines.

@13minutes 40 seconds.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Caz200 said:

Lack of knowledge i thought i thought there only was one seal. 

The 1.4 TSI is a four cylinder engine, so there will be 4x fuel injectors, each with their own seal...

image.png.873d0336ef0ce43257a0751711139874.png

Unless they've been disturbed / removed previously, then it might be a fair assumption that any inherent weakness with one of the injector seals may well be mirrored on the others.

A far from conclusive assumption though, so if they've only replaced one then I wouldn't be overly concerned.

It is often useful to ask how much (if it hadn't been covered under warranty) that it would have cost you to have the seal replaced, so that if the others fail in years to come you'll have an idea what to expect?

• Like 1

I’m convinced that cars are not built to last any more.  Irrespective of badge.

Manufactures have 1 objective - to sell new cars.

Why are we surprised when “things” wear out / fail just as warranty ends.

The chap who collected my 3 year old (mint) banger this week gave me food for thought - “rent” a car for 2 years then just take a new one.  One service only. No new tyres. No new brakes. No MOT. Just annualise the cost and compare with other “buying options”.

I’ll look into it......