How to Replace Dash Mount

Nicoli2390

Hi guys,

I have a 2016 Skoda Citigo & it has the GPS/Sat Nav dash mount. I recently purchased a replacement fitting so I could swap to the mobile phone mount but am having trouble replacing it. Does anyone have any advice? 

I have attached pictures of my progress.

cheers

nicoli2390

1D6EB901-D83B-4C99-8B2A-3DD70F7CAAD0.jpeg

98E940D2-6CED-4E00-A4E8-B2F777BF324D.jpeg

It requires a different wiring harness that's designed for the later radio, so to do the whole thing you need the harness (about £100) and a later radio (£?)

I looked at it a while back and gave up quite quickly

Just now, Gyp said:

It requires a different wiring harness that's designed for the later radio, so to do the whole thing you need the harness (about £100) and a later radio (£?)

I looked at it a while back and gave up quite quickly

oh damn, it’s more than just replacing that mount then? I’m not even bothered about the USB port, just want to be able to set my phone up as a sat nav!

thank you for the feedback!

28 minutes ago, Nicoli2390 said:

oh damn, it’s more than just replacing that mount then? I’m not even bothered about the USB port, just want to be able to set my phone up as a sat nav!

thank you for the feedback!

Ah well in that case it's not so hard...

The cable to your current fitting can be disconnected from the back of the radio and pulled out.

Then put in the new fitting and phone holder. 

You won't have USB but you'll have your phone set up as a sat nav!

If you kept the harness, could you not wire up the power wires for the usb connector, so you could at least use the physical mount and charge your phone in situ? You don't even need to figure out how to access usb power from the existing radio (not sure if your radio provided usb or not) - you can buy a tiny 12v to 5v usb "buck" PCB from Amazon for a few quid. I fitted several around my 5th wheel caravan a few years back, so I could charge or power various things when not on mains, and they worked a treat.

5 minutes ago, freemansteve said:

If you kept the harness, could you not wire up the power wires for the usb connector, so you could at least use the physical mount and charge your phone in situ? You don't even need to figure out how to access usb power from the existing radio (not sure if your radio provided usb or not) - you can buy a tiny 12v to 5v usb "buck" PCB from Amazon for a few quid. I fitted several around my 5th wheel caravan a few years back, so I could charge or power various things when not on mains, and they worked a treat.

i brought the replacement part through eBay and arrived as only the top half of the connector to fit the new mount. In reality I just need to separate the plastic casing around the wires & replace it with my new one but I cannot seem to separate them

I'm not following from the pics quite what you bits you have, or need to achieve, but if the rhoboid plastic part has a hole for usb, and if that is what you need, then something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vzer-Converter-Module-convert-Adapter/dp/B071FT57SV/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=12v+to+usb+buck&qid=1593034472&sr=8-3

...would let you fit the female usb end into the hole, with a bit of milliput or similar.

For my 2019 car, I bought a plain plug to fill the gap in the dash, and I have stored away the elaborate phone holder, as the 'grab' arms were too small to hold my large satnav (I hate peering at my relatively small phone for maps!

12 minutes ago, freemansteve said:

I'm not following from the pics quite what you bits you have, or need to achieve, but if the rhoboid plastic part has a hole for usb, and if that is what you need, then something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vzer-Converter-Module-convert-Adapter/dp/B071FT57SV/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=12v+to+usb+buck&qid=1593034472&sr=8-3

...would let you fit the female usb end into the hole, with a bit of milliput or similar.

For my 2019 car, I bought a plain plug to fill the gap in the dash, and I have stored away the elaborate phone holder, as the 'grab' arms were too small to hold my large satnav (I hate peering at my relatively small phone for maps!

the file size limit isn’t helping me unfortunately. In the first image the seam under my finger is where I’m trying to separate the mount. The new mount adapter I want to use is the second picture and I only have what would be removed by separating the two parts along that seam in the first picture. I am not bothered about getting the usb up & running as my Phones battery life isn’t an issue so shouldn’t require the usb being functional

Ok, so it's just about getting the later mounting system (like mine I assume, with the clip-in grabber not shown) to simply be able to hold your phone, and all electrical considerations are not applicable....  I assumed the first pic looked like you could separate the two halves with 2 screws, but clearly it's not that simple from what you are saying. Are the two halves ultrasonically welded together? If so, you'll need a fine toothed hacksaw, or use a hot blade to melt and separate then epoxy the new top onto the old base?

Just now, freemansteve said:

Ok, so it's just about getting the later mounting system (like mine I assume, with the clip-in grabber not shown) to simply be able to hold your phone, and all electrical considerations are not applicable....  I assumed the first pic looked like you could separate the two halves with 2 screws, but clearly it's not that simple from what you are saying. Are the two halves ultrasonically welded together? If so, you'll need a fine toothed hacksaw, or use a hot blade to melt and separate then epoxy the new top onto the old base?

I know less than nothing about all this but I would guess it is the ultrasonic welding that has occurred here!

i will try a hot blade as I don’t think I have a hacksaw to hand. Thank you for the advice and I’ll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Can I suggest before anything is cut open that the connections are checked on the current plate to ensure that once the plate is taken apart it has appropriate voltages etc for whatever is intended.

If it was me I'd still be looking to unclip the original wire from the radio and take it up through the dash hole and then working from there to either just use the phone holder, or set up a new wiring configuration based on something like the USB power adapter above. 

• 7 months later...

I have just "completed" this operation today. As GYP described earliere in this topic it actually easy.

Release the radio, and unplug the wiring. Release the blue socket from the main socket, and the antenna connector split. pullt is backwards up through the dashboard. its fixed twize with clips (you can just pull)

Now I'm about to find out if the radio, through the blue socket has a 12v output or a 5V / xAmp. If its a 5v i will put a USB cable direct on the blue socket  and wire it to the new mount in the dashboard. 

• 2 years later...