Battery change

Hi all, 

ive changed my battery as it was getting past its best. 

Now appearing on the dash are;

loss of tyre pressure monitor 

loss of stability (ESC) 

does this need driving now? Are these codes that can be cleared by a OBD and mobile app? Or something more involved?

thanks 

If your car has stop/ start you may have to have the car coded to accept the new battery.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenny R said:

If your car has stop/ start you may have to have the car coded to accept the new battery.

Yes, this is correct. Coding is required to enable the car to monitor and correctly charge/discharge the battery and maintain it's proper lifespan. Not coding a new one won't break anything, but could make the battery life a bit shorter and the stop start not function as affectively.

HOWEVER, not all aftermarket batteries can be coded correctly. I recently installed a Bosch AGM battery in mine and; firstly there was no proper BEM code on the battery, only Bosch's own, so I had to make an educated guess at the serial number and the manufacturer code and secondly there was no drop-down menu in my VCDS (as shown in this video) for the battery manufacturer (another reason I had to guess the manufacturer code). 

The most important thing to code, however, is the battery type and the aH capacity. From the research I've done, entering any 'valid' serial number will tell the system there's a new battery, and the capacity and type will allow the car to work out how to best use it.