Hand Brake Switch - 3rd Party Stereo

I need to install a new stereo into my fiancé's MK2 Fabia. I did a test fit of the head unit tonight to ensure I've got all the connectors I need and it all went well. The only thing I didn't expect was that some functions were unavailable when the hand brake was off. This is sensed using a single wire. 

The manual entry for the hand brake wire of the stereo is attached. 

What I need to know is which wire on the switch do I connect this to. Logic suggests this is simply a ground connection it is looking for so I need to connect to the opposite side of the switch (live). There is a brown/green wire and a blue wire. 

If it is a simple ground I know I could just permanently ground it but my fiancé is exactly the sort of person this safety feature is there for 😂 

Anyone advise me? 

Screenshot_20200715_203608.jpg

I would assume it needs 12v from the switch, as when the handbrake switch lights the brake warning light on the dash.

Does it not say whether to ground or not ?

I am assuimng it has a TV or DVD function or both so its using this to ensure the car is parked before operating those functions.

Is there a wiring diagram for it, or only what you have posted ? if it is, not very useful, so can only assume by the names of the items its a chinese unit of some description.

What year / model fabia is it ?#

EDIT EDIT

Just looked at wiring, the brown / green trace is the ground from the switch, the Blue / Black trace is from dash panel warning light to the switch, so the dash supplies the power, the switch grounds the connection to complete the circuit.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

It's a Sony XAV-AX3005DB. No TV or DVD, it's Android Auto that needs the hand brake sensor. 

The ground assumption came from some googling, it's commonly referenced and I didn't find any that used the live feed. I'll test that theory tomorrow as it's simple and unlikely to blow anything up! 

Wiring diagram is about as helpful as the previous diagram. 

Screenshot_20200715_224202.jpg

Thanks for your help, it did need grounding and your info on the wires enabled me to solder into the connector and get this part working. 

All I need to do now is to find a convenient to dim the display when the headlamps are on! 

On 18/07/2020 at 02:55, UrbanPanzer said:

I would agree,

Just ground it, no need to cut into / disturb handbrake wiring imo

Exactly what I did with mine a few years ago! Its to stop you playing with certain features while the cars moving... 

Like I said originally, my fiance is exactly the sort of person that feature is designed for. I showed her what I'd written and she agreed without hesitation. If I was installing it in my car I'd have just grounded it. 

It's sorted now, I wired the illumination wire to the head light switch so everything is as it should be now. 

Mammoth effort required to fit a third party head unit though, especially as I had to install a new aerial as the existing one wasn't DAB and run all the cabling through. 

She couldn't be happier with the result so it was totally worth it. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...