Knocking sound from my 110bhp Yeti

vRSRobT

So i have had this car just over a year, but there has been a knocking sound for nearly the full duration.  I took it into the dealer and they replaced a cv joint or something under warranty but the noise is still there.  Again taken it back to the dealership who said they cannot find any fault (they were only looking for fault in the suspension as i said it sounds like a drive shaft or something).  When i got it back i said i would get a video and send it to them, which i did.  When the car is under load there is a distinctive knocking sound...they concluded its not an issues with the suspension components but might be the engine.  I have the full components warranty from Skoda but they have said if the issue that is not covered by warranty then i could be charged, with a potential up to 20 hours of work (maybe more).  

There is the video from the dealership to my house and the various times it happened.

Few different senior techs and management went out and confirmed the noise is there, but they cannot determine where from.  Also suggested to keep running it until it gets worse, but i did say what happens if its a catastrophic engine failure, he didnt have an answer to that.

So would you authorise the investigation into it? saying ill be without a car for a considerable amount of time, but should get a courtesy car.  Also any other had this issue and have a suggestion what it could be ? 

TIA

@vRSRobT   ^^^^ Exactly.  

Who are you dealing with, is it Hendrys or Arnold Clark Linwood?

If it is not covered by Warranty then there will be costs coming your way, but then that is why you have a warranty and their incompetence in diagnosing the issues is their problem.

No need for 20 hours labour as they are not needing to strip the engine and have a technician on the car for more than 2 days.

If the engine does need stripped then likely there will be a warranty claim from you...

Edited by e-Roottoot

Well it is Hendrys i went to. The issue i have is that

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

Find another garage!

Not that easy my friend as not many Skoda dealerships in Scotland and this one is local to me.

2 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@vRSRobT   ^^^^ Exactly.  

Who are you dealing with, is it Hendrys?

If it is not covered by Warranty then there will be costs coming your way, but then that is why you have a warranty and their incompetence in diagnosing the issues is their problem.

No need for 20 hours labour as they are not needing to strip the engine and have a technician on the car for more than 2 days.

If the engine does need stripped then likely there will be a warranty claim from you...

Well thats the issue, is it worth taking the chance or let it get worse so it might be easier to diagnose.

I felt if they have to strip the engine then it should be covered by warranty.

@vRSRobT It sounds bad enough as it is now.

There is 2 Hendrys and one has been pretty rubbish for a while.

Certainly there are not that many good ones.  Parks can be as bad as the 2 i mentioned.

There is West End Skoda if you drove a bit, there is the John Clark Group so that is a few others.

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg.3018b3fb6b1f089246c59c5ebe4fe740.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

2 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@vRSRobT It sounds bad enough as it is now.

There is 2 Hendrys and one has been pretty rubbish for a while.

Certainly there are not that many good ones.  Parks can be as bad as the 2 i mentioned.

There is West End Skoda if you drove a bit, there is the John Clark Group so that is a few others.

Its the one on Kyle St i went to.

To start isolating you need to make a note of road speed, engine speed, road surface and if there is any steering input , body roll etc at the time you hear the noise. 

Just remembered my Touran fractured an exhaust bracket which was situated almost under the handbrake area, it was a sod to reach with just ramps and settle back into place so didn't immediately look damaged. A mate and a spot of weld sorted that. 

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Urrell said:

Sounds like exhaust vibrating under load on the body or could it be the air conditioner pipes on the bulkhead?

Exactly my thoughts - the ‘tone’ of the noise doesn’t change with revs, it seems to be linked to engine load and speed, perhaps a resonance somewhere.  Maybe a loose or worn engine or transmission mount?

• 2 years later...

Probably a bit late for the OP, but this might help someone else. Our Yeti had a similar noise and when I replaced the driveshaft recently the bolts connecting the driveshaft to the driveshaft flange were all bent. It would only make the noise under heavy load (acceleration) or accelerating when turning. Driveshaft spinning out of balance.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2023 at 15:04, _VRs_ said:

Probably a bit late for the OP, but this might help someone else. Our Yeti had a similar noise and when I replaced the driveshaft recently the bolts connecting the driveshaft to the driveshaft flange were all bent. It would only make the noise under heavy load (acceleration) or accelerating when turning. Driveshaft spinning out of balance.

Thanks for the feedback. The Yeti was long gone ages ago replaced with a caddy van but now back in a Skoda again :)