Water coming through Pollen Filter housing

Hello,

I have had my 2010 estate for 6 years now, pretty much trouble free. 

Mid summer during a heavy rainfall my wife was driving and I felt water drip onto my feet. As a result I did some research on here and removed the scuttle cover, checked and clean the drain holes. They were however clear.

Summer has come to an end and water is now freely flowing in through the housing.

I have done the following:

remove foam seal around air intake, silicone and refit: problem continued.

move position of horn to side of air take: problem continued.

Removed edge of of arch cover under front near side wheel and cleaned out leaves from within: problem continued

I am now out of ideas. It’s certainly worse when driving and taking roundabouts or hard rights, water literally pours out without the filter in. 

Are there any enter points in the ducting between the housing and air intake? 

can a leak elsewhere cause it to enter the ducts, ie windscreen or door seal. The car is a non sunroof model.

it’s going to be either a failed seal or debris blocking a drain hole I guess due to age. It needs sorting though as it’s soon going to fry my heated seat module in the passenger footwell :( furthermore the car is steaming up and smells.

10 hours ago, nafeun said:

It’s certainly a possibility, how do I check the condensate drain?

Run the air con for some time and look under the car for drips, which it should do eventually. If climate control turn to the lowest setting.

Edited by bigjohn

35 minutes ago, nafeun said:

Yeah drips away. It’s got to be rain ingress 🤦‍♂️

Agreed - was worth checking though.

Difficult job , but I've had some sucess identifying water leaks by firstly removing trim and pulling back some carpets and dusting areas with talc to identify where water is coming from.  Before you do this it's worth having two of you (one inside the car and one outside) remove scuttle cover again and apply the hose pipe to different areas to try and identify. A useful tool is an inspection camera. My dad had a Volvo 740 that had a water leak for many years that I managed to eventually identify the problem which was a badly fitted windscreen replacement.

Can I presume it is clear water?

Good luck!

[EDIT] PS I've not had to investigate water leaks on my Superb, thus far dry as a bone. My experience has been with older cars

Edited by bigjohn

• 4 weeks later...

So...it is the aircon after all!

I have turned it off the last few weeks and have experienced heavy rainfall, car is dry.

The aircon is still chucking out condense under the car but obviously not all of it. Where does it leak?

I think the drain is near the clutch footrest, not 100% sure though.

[EDIT re RTFM]I must admit I use the VW Golf Haynes manual 2009 to 2012 which seems to cover most of the mechanical bits used in my Superb II (engines covered  1.4 EA111 + 1.6 & 2.0 diesels). It shows the aircon drain passing below the footrest which needs removing to access.

Edited by bigjohn