Halogen to LEDs with projector headlights?

Hi everyone,

I currently have a 2018 MK3 Fabia.

I like the car, apart from it being slow and the windows not going up or down automatically at the press of the button. But what annoys me most are the lights. They're not terrible but compared to my other cars they're just extremely lacking. I was reading some Polish article regarding Philips H7 X-tremeUltinon LED gen2 LEDs that can be easily replaced in most if not all cars, they shouldn't come up with error codes on the dashboard, and they make a big difference. However according to the website where I want to get them from, these bulbs are designed for reflector style headlights, not projector style headlights. My assumption is that this is to prevent blinding, however the dealer told me that my projector headlights have a built in cutoff point to prevent that anyways and it won't be an issue. Has anyone used these bulbs in their Fabia (or other Skoda potentially) with reflector style bulbs? Or has anyone used them at all and can tell me if they're any good?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. In Poland the laws regarding retro-fitting LEDs are changing now and they're becoming legal, all you need to do is get an MOT test done for them and they're legal.

Main problem NO LED works correctly in either reflector or projector headlight. Due to the light source being in the wrong position, it’s impossible to obtain the correct light alignment. The bright spot with LED is way out of line. This leads to poor light laydown on the road. Only OEM LED head light work correctly. Why they are and will stay an MOT fail in the UK.

I wanted some whiter and slightly brighter bulbs but was hesitant for the same reason @Planetse mentioned above. That each LED is made to emit light in a certain way, as much as our projector headlights try to control it.

There's nothing I hate more than someone in an old car with bright white retrofitted lights shining to the top of the lampposts lol. Not that your car is old or you'd be that person :D

I'd reccomend Ring, perhaps their RW1577 Xenon150 H7 headlamp for you. I went for some that had a higher colour temperature but Ring are quite underated imo. The other Philips performance halogens will still probably be a good shout. Have fun fitting them!

10 hours ago, Jamez1095 said:

I wanted some whiter and slightly brighter bulbs but was hesitant for the same reason @Planetse mentioned above. That each LED is made to emit light in a certain way, as much as our projector headlights try to control it.

There's nothing I hate more than someone in an old car with bright white retrofitted lights shining to the top of the lampposts lol. Not that your car is old or you'd be that person :D

I'd reccomend Ring, perhaps their RW1577 Xenon150 H7 headlamp for you. I went for some that had a higher colour temperature but Ring are quite underated imo. The other Philips performance halogens will still probably be a good shout. Have fun fitting them!

I tried some brighter Halogens and they honestly made basically no difference. I honestly rather drive my old A3 because even the old Xenons are better than these awful Halogens at night. I saw some articles and photos regarding these "new generation" Philips headlights and they seemed fine, that's why I'm asking if anyone actually used them. I know that the older LEDs were pretty awful and would be blinding and shine all over the place. But yeah thanks for the info, I'll have a look into what you sent. Cheers.

On 06/10/2020 at 11:28, MKSpots said:

I tried some brighter Halogens and they honestly made basically no difference. I honestly rather drive my old A3 because even the old Xenons are better than these awful Halogens at night. I saw some articles and photos regarding these "new generation" Philips headlights and they seemed fine, that's why I'm asking if anyone actually used them. I know that the older LEDs were pretty awful and would be blinding and shine all over the place. But yeah thanks for the info, I'll have a look into what you sent. Cheers.

I see. Perhaps there could be some reviews of these new generation LEDs for the VW Polo or Audi A1 and other similar cars if you can't find anything for the Fabia. Sorry I couldn't be much help. Either way i'd be interested in hearing what you end up choosing.

18 minutes ago, Jamez1095 said:

I see. Perhaps there could be some reviews of these new generation LEDs for the VW Polo or Audi A1 and other similar cars if you can't find anything for the Fabia. Sorry I couldn't be much help. Either way i'd be interested in hearing what you end up choosing.

Thanks mate. We have LEDs in our Polo GTi and it makes a world of a difference, it's actually usable at night. I really wanted to see if someone has used these LEDs because the standard halogens are really really terrible. I honestly don't understand how Skoda could fit the car with these headlights, my 18 year old A3 is better at night than my Fabia.