how to deter mice from biting cables and fuel hoses

dutyhog

Any comments on how to deter mice from biting cables and fuel hoses on my Yeti? First time was on the night before a Christmas Eve when they ruined the cable to an injector. That cost me many £hundreds, the car being transported 200 miles, and several weeks wait.  The other two included this week - they mainly bit through fuel hoses. I didn't notice until after driving several miles and back home, then finding there was a trail of diesel and a big smelly puddle.

I've tried the stinking spray approach (E-Tech RatStop Rodent Repellant), and maybe that has deterred them - but not enough. I guess that they go into the engine bay when it gets dark and the engine is still warm after a journey, and maybe  aren't interested when it's cold. I don't go out much nowadays, so will try respraying the stinking stuff after a journey  that gets me back home in the dark.

I haven't finished replacing fuel hoses - still waiting for more from ebay. One thing I'll try is hose sheathed in woven stainless steel and wonder if others use it.   And what about putting lengths of wider hose or pipe over cables and fuel hoses to slow down the destruction? Or I could easily cut HEP20 hot water pipe into short lengths and slit them to squeeze over where wanted.

Gordon

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 17.33.20.jpg

Edited by dutyhog
typos