Starter button sticking

The starter button has become a bit erratic sometimes taking 2 pushes to start or stop. The car is April 2015. Would it be safe to squirt a little WD 40 on the button or I have an aerosol can of silicon spray which may be safer Joe

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/12/2020 at 18:36, James@RRG_Skoda_Rochdale said:

You more than likely need a new switch.

Independent garage has fitted a new switch. Can feel the difference after a couple of stop starts. Cost for parts and fitting £125 Joe

Dread to think what the main dealer would have charged. It’s only a small independent  garage but they are really good they sorted out a problem with my turbo charger. I suspect the main dealer would have fitted a new one.

9 hours ago, JoePeddos said:

Dread to think what the main dealer would have charged. It’s only a small independent  garage but they are really good they sorted out a problem with my turbo charger. I suspect the main dealer would have fitted a new one.

Less than £100 all in. They take about 5 minutes to fit and the part is only £35 quid.

• 2 weeks later...