Water leak - suspect sunroof

Ketchka

I have recently encountered rain water getting into the rear footwell on the drivers side - 3-4 gallons. I suspect the sunroof but cannot be certain - has any body encountered similar problems with water getting into car, windscreen seal looks a bit suspect.

This comes up occasionally,  on this and the much bigger Up! forum...

Rear windscreen seal, following accident or replacement seems to be the most common cause (if you read to the end of the postings), but on the way, lots of debate about sunroof drain channels, brake light and spoiler seals, rear wiper seal, rear wash wipe leaks, blocked drain holes in sills,  etc.

Many thanks Steve for pointing me in the direction of the Up forum - loads of articles and hopefully areas to investigate - never thought of the roof mounted brake light😀

I now need to remove the carpets and sound proof matting - hope I can do this without removing the seats.

hows the weather down there in Cornwall?

Well - it's freezing down here, about 7C in the day and alternating cold, heavy rain and sun.... been working outside though!

I did think the brake light was a red-herring. IMHO....

But nevertheless the Up! forum is massive compared with this one, so always worth checking.

Edited by freemansteve

• 2 weeks later...

Update on water problem - hopefully found it - the drain holes under the windscreen were blocked, once the crud was vacuumed out and leaves removed, water went straight out under the car. I managed to use my Vac to remove the water from the footwell although my next task is to get to the sound insulation to remove/dry out.

I think the water was draining into the car through the heater.

Yes that is common.

Glad it's sorted.....

It's a bit surprised that the rear footwell was wet, but you didn't say the front footwell had a problem! (I'm sure it must have been wet too!) - several of us would have suggested blocked drain holes right away, if the front footwell was also wet!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - at the time most of the water was ending up in the rear footwell as vehicle was on slight incline, only noticed that the drivers side was also wet when i started to remove with Vax. thanks again for helping out.

• Like 1

Main thing is: problem identified and sorted!

Watching this issue on this  site - and also on the far bigger VW Up! site - I'd venture that for every big water ingress issue, 90% are blocked scuttle drain holes. The other 10% appear to be:  seals around rear screen, seals around spoiler or wiper, and sunroof leaks are negligible.  I also do not recall a leaking heater matrix so far, but it may only be a matter of time!

Edited by freemansteve

• 1 month later...

I have a leak on the driver's side floor and after removing the carpets and having someone sit inside the car I hosed down the car to see where the water was coming from I was surprised to fine that it was coming in through the floor itself where one sheet of floor overlaps the other does anyone know how I can seal this, I'm a little concerned to seal it with silicone as I don't know where the water will travel to after I seal it any help with this would be greatly appreciated  Damian 

20210308_153119.jpg

20210308_153124.jpg