Key re-sync

Just wanted to post some helpful info after scouring several forums to no avail.

On my wife’s 2018 Rapid spaceback the battery in the spare key had died, remote unlocking wouldn’t work but would unlock and start the car via the key in the door lock. 

At the start of the process I had the main key fully working, and the spare not. Through trying various processes from forums and you tube I managed to get both keys out of sync, so neither worked to lock/unlock via remote. 

After reading the manual, I bought two brand new batteries (CR2025). Working on one key at a time firstly the small red led now lit up with each button press (which it wasn’t doing previously) but at this stage the car still wasn’t responding. Enter the manual- followed the instructions (press any button on the fob, then unlock with key and this should re-sync it) this didn’t work for me. 

This did- 

unlock with key in drivers door, alarm went off as soon as I opened the door. Put key into ignition and START engine. I let the car sit for approx 1min with the engine running, turned car off, locked door with key. 

Now I pushed the lock button on the fob, car responded with a Clunk. Pressed unlock, car now responds as normal, locks and unlocks via the fob and starts as normal. I followed this process exactly with the 2nd key and it worked. 

Hopefully this may help someone else out there that may be struggling (as I was) contemplating a trip to a dealer to get sorted. 

New Batteries.

Put the key into the car and start it and let it run for a short time.

Lock with key.

Push lock button.

Unlock with key.

Sorted.

• 5 months later...
On 01/01/2021 at 11:15, APJONES said:

Just wanted to post some helpful info after scouring several forums to no avail.

On my wife’s 2018 Rapid spaceback the battery in the spare key had died, remote unlocking wouldn’t work but would unlock and start the car via the key in the door lock. 

At the start of the process I had the main key fully working, and the spare not. Through trying various processes from forums and you tube I managed to get both keys out of sync, so neither worked to lock/unlock via remote. 

After reading the manual, I bought two brand new batteries (CR2025). Working on one key at a time firstly the small red led now lit up with each button press (which it wasn’t doing previously) but at this stage the car still wasn’t responding. Enter the manual- followed the instructions (press any button on the fob, then unlock with key and this should re-sync it) this didn’t work for me. 

This did- 

unlock with key in drivers door, alarm went off as soon as I opened the door. Put key into ignition and START engine. I let the car sit for approx 1min with the engine running, turned car off, locked door with key. 

Now I pushed the lock button on the fob, car responded with a Clunk. Pressed unlock, car now responds as normal, locks and unlocks via the fob and starts as normal. I followed this process exactly with the 2nd key and it worked. 

Hopefully this may help someone else out there that may be struggling (as I was) contemplating a trip to a dealer to get sorted. 

New Batteries.

Put the key into the car and start it and let it run for a short time.

Lock with key.

Push lock button.

Unlock with key.

Sorted.

I have a similar issue however the non working key, when the ignition is on, triggers the immobilizer (immobilizer active). So if I turn to start the engine, it cuts out.

Did you face the same issue?

I've tried literally anything else I can find on the net apart from your steps which I will try tomorrow as it's 10pm now :)

On 03/06/2021 at 21:58, Urtyboy said:

I have a similar issue however the non working key, when the ignition is on, triggers the immobilizer (immobilizer active). So if I turn to start the engine, it cuts out.

Did you face the same issue?

I've tried literally anything else I can find on the net apart from your steps which I will try tomorrow as it's 10pm now :)

That sounds like being a completely different issue, the OP was only having an issue with the key fob's tx/rx remote talking to the car, your problem sounds like being an issue with the immob chip in either the key or the car, do you have 2 keys and is it only one of them that will not work?

If you only have one key then maybe time to get a second while getting this fault sorting out.

Edited by rum4mo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

as posted above I think this may be a different issue to mine. (with the immobiliser chip in the key) I didn’t have any issues with the key starting the car, just the remote locking/unlocking.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to know what to suggest next, maybe a trip to the dealer or a decent independent may help diagnose where the problem is.