Towing with a Kodiaq

Mk111

Hello, I am thinking of buying a new Kodiaq se 150ps dsg 5 seat 4x4 to use as main car and to tow my Bailey Pegasus Rimini caravan, does anyone have a similar setup or any advice would be much appreciated 

Thanks

Whilst I can't answer your specific question, I thought I'd post this for info purposes because I see you currently have a Superb.

I bought my Kodiaq to replace a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe, which in turn replaced a Skoda Superb 170 bhp diesel estate. For personal reasons I sold my van just after buying the Kodiaq, so I never did tow my van with it. However, my van was a similar mtplm as yours and I towed it with both the Superb and the Hyundai and I found the Superb a much more stable combination (on motorways) than the Hyundai.

My point is, an SUV isn't necessarily a better tow car than what you already have and I assume it's to do with airflow over the higher vehicle. Because the Kodiaq is a similar vehicle (SUV) to the Hyundai, then you might find the combination less stable than your Superb.

Having said that, if the aerodynamics of the Kodiaq are different to the Hyundai, then stability might not be an issue.

Just thought I'd make you aware.

Hi and thanks for your info it’s definitely something to consider, when I bought the superb it was probably going to be my last car purchase and is the best car I have ever driven but life/health changes and we now have an opportunity to get a motability vehicle and due to the height of the Kodiaq it will be a great deal easier getting in and out unlike the superb so that is the reason for a change of vehicle but not sure if I can cope with the lower trim of a se from a l&k.

Yes I get the mobility angle, my choice was between the latest Superb and the Kodiaq. I sat in them back to back and it was the extra height of the Kodiaq that swung it for me, which miffed me slightly as I liked the style of the Superb estate more than the Kodiaq.

The Kodiaq is a good car though and I have no regrets about choosing it.

Thanks for the reply and your take on the two models due to the Covid-19 restrictions I cannot actually have a test drive at the moment although I have sat in a few whilst waiting for the superb to be serviced hopefully it will not be to long before I can book the test drive.

I tow a Swift dealer special model of similar weight to your van. I used to tow with a 150bhp superb i now have a 190ps Kodiaq. Both vehicles towed very well with no issues whatsoever both very stable although due to the higher power of the Kodiaq this is far better tow car. I think the Kodiaq being higher also helps creating less drag on the van.

Thank you all for the information it will certainly help when I finally make a decision , the Kodiaq in any guise it will be a good choice I think but until I have a test drive i will stick with the superb for now.

I tow a Hobby caravan (1500kg) with a 2.0 TDI 150 5 seater and don't even notice its on the hitch. Average 37.95mpg over a 12 month period mixture of towing caravan and normal.

HTH

• Like 1