Private email providers

LLCC1975

I was wondering of the good folk of Briskoda use private/secure email accounts. I'm trying to wake to privacy issues, and seemingly Gmail is good for scraping emails, and directing adverts etc.

I am not a teccie nor understand how private email providers work - curious as to a reputable provider that easy to use and not too expensive. I have just signed up to a couple of trials - Proton Mail and Mailbox.org. I'm more interested in the lack of tracking by tech companies, rather than full encryption etc.

Many thanks.

I use Proton Mail as a spare. Sometimes you need additional accounts and it's nearly impossible to use GMail etc without associating with a phone number these days.

A very security aware friend uses MrMail to provide him with a secure mail service.

One thing to remember is that is you want something that is genuinely not tracking you then you will need to pay for it. If you don't pay then the service must be paid for either by mining your data and/or advertising to you.

A pretty decent rule of thumb is - If the service is free you are the product.

although increasingly you can pay for stuff and they will mine you for profit anyway -

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?id=1583755244&subaction=showfull

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1