1.5 tsi is it ok

Vallumlj

It's been well documented since the introduction of this engine variant across the VW  group that there have been problems with kangarooing from standstill.

I don't have this engine so I haven't followed the story closely, but from what I've read, it doesn't affect every car and it would appear to affect the manual versions far more than the autos with DSG.

It would seem to be a software problem and although VW have tried to fix it, it seems that they haven't yet been successful.

If you decide to go for the 2.0TSI, I think you'll find they're not currently available, according to other folks on this forum.

I should be collecting my 1.5TSI DSG SEL around the beginning of March. I'm coming from a Freelander2 SD4 2.2L diesel turbo with 190bhp.

I was particularly worried about the performance, but wasn't prepared to pay the 4k difference in cost for the 2.0, and with the options I wanted it would push me over the 40k barrier. I arranged an extended test drive and drove many of my common local routes to see how it comperared to the FL2. It definitely lacks the same outright performance of the TD, but I was pleasantly surprised and if you're willing to give it some revs I found the acceleration to be acceptable. No doubt I will have to adapt my driving style, but I felt it was something I could live with, though of course only time will tell.

I would strongly advise that when possible you get the whole family on a test drive and see for yourself, since noone really knows what you consider normal family life.

2 minutes ago, SimonB68 said:

I would strongly advise that when possible you get the whole family on a test drive and see for yourself

Right on.

Prior to the Kodiaq we had a Passat 1.4TSI bought in 2009. Overall a fantastic car, but I never really liked that the turbo kicks in very often and the revs are pretty high especially when accelerating from standstill or overtaking at highway speeds. This was one of the reasons why I decided to skip the 1.5TSI engine in the Kodiaq and go straight up for a 2.0TDI.

I have a 1.4 TSI DSG. And we've been on holiday a couple of times. 3 adults, a dog, boot full and 3 bikes on the tow bar.

Perfectly capable and accelerating still felt effortless without having to rev the hell out of it etc.

We also drove a Golf Estate 1.5 TSI 150 ACT DSG. And again with 3 adults, a dog and a boot full it drove beautifully. Pulls itself along really nice and with a decent amount of torque from low down drives much like a diesel without having to floor it to get anywhere.

Personal preferences and expectations can be very different.

I have the 1.4Tsi DSG and find it surprisingly capable.  It’s far nippier, for example, than my 1995 2.2 litre (non turbo) Mercedes E class.

I’ve used the Kodiaq for 100-mile airport runs with 5 adults and 8 suitcases, with no problems.  It also feels completely unflustered when I tow a small car on a trailer. I’m old enough to think of much bigger engines as necessary - but I note that the 1.4 and later 1.5 have more bhp and better torque at low revs than in the 3.5-litre V8 I once had in a Rover 3500!

As others say, see if you can get a test drive with the car full.  It won’t be sporty, but it will be competent.

Edited by DaveMiller

I don’t think there is a problem with the latest 1.5tsi

Its true that when first introduced it had problem in low gear, and was relatively easy to stall, but the software has been altered since.

Of course the Sportline is sporty looks with an good engine, but It’s also debatable if this is the best spec for normal family life, rather depends if family life is more going to a muddy park with kids bikes and a wet dog onboard, or if it is visiting granny with everyone wearing Sunday best.

I have the 1.5TSI

It's absolutely fine, even packed with kids/gear etc.

In all honesty the more difficult thing is keeping it down to 30mph with the raised driving position it offers.  I've never had an issue with the "kangarooing".

If I was nitpicking then there is a lag in 2nd gear at lower revs (but that's easily fixed).

For me it's a SUV not a sports car and that's it.  

Having driven a sports car in the past, anything else is a compromise, so imo there was absolutely no point in putting a bigger engine in a SUV, but that's just my opinion.

But you pays your money and takes your choice!

On 09/02/2021 at 21:48, Vallumlj said:

Looking to lease a sportline 1.5 tsi is this engine ok for normal family Life 3 kids have always had 2.0 but this is a lot cheaper at the moment .

thank you 

Anyone who owns a 1.4 or 1.5 will tell you they’re absolutely fine.  Naturally.

And anyone with a 2.0, petrol or diesel will tell you that’s the only one to have.

As suggested above, you must go try them and decide which one meets your needs.

We all have different needs and “must have” criteria.

Petrol? Diesel? 4WD? 2WD?

5 seats? 7 seats?

Personally, I’d never ask such a question. I just make my own mind up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

Anyone who owns a 1.4 or 1.5 will tell you they’re absolutely fine.  Naturally.

And anyone with a 2.0, petrol or diesel will tell you that’s the only one to have.

As suggested above, you must go try them and decide which one meets your needs.

We all have different needs and “must have” criteria.

Petrol? Diesel? 4WD? 2WD?

5 seats? 7 seats?

Personally, I’d never ask such a question. I just make my own mind up.

Well it's worth asking the question, but ultimately it's a personal choice I agree.