Has anyone swapped out a Bolero head unit for anything other than an Amundsen?

Hi,

Our 2012 vRS is still going strong having just gone through its annual service and MOT, but the entertainment system is letting it down.

In the past I considered adding the Bluetooth module and also considered an Amundsen off of ebay.

I've been looking at various head units on eBay that tend to be Android and are a straight swap in terms of size.  They appear to be pretty feature rich and a convenient way to add Bluetooth, sat nav, apple car play and moving over to digital radio would be also be good.

Would be really interested if anyone has swapped over to something else?  Experience?   Did it need to be coded?

Just worried to swap over to something unproven!

Thanks  

I just installed an Android stereo. I originally had the basic Swing stereo.

See my post here for some pixtures etc:

I've ordered a reversing camera (from China as I wanted one without the static parking lines since the stereo can display the dynamic lines that turn with the steering wheel which is cool).

I've also ordered a DAB receiver for it. And then got to work out the aerial. I've bought a passive aerial and an FM/DAB amplifier/splitter. So I'll replace the roof aerial for the passive (since the standard active doesn't pass thorough the DAB frequencies).

I've also ordered some pins for the quadlock connector so that I can hopefully make use of the factory aux in socket in the armrest.

And it required no coding. It worked straight away with the canbus and displays climate, the vehicle information, doors open and turns on and off with the key properly. It also shows up in the Maxidot like the factory stereo.

If you have parking sensors it will also display those in the screen.