Fabia mk3 1.0 TSI ?

I'm looking at a Fabia TSI 1.0, either 95 or 110 PS. What, if any, benefit would a 6 speed gearbox bring to the driving / ownership experience?

Also, SE L spec or Monte Carlo? Is there any real benefit to the Monte Carlo, suspension set up etc (I used to own a Fabia mk1 VRS but sadly no longer). Tbanks

You will have to be quick for a 110 as no longer available so will have to find one at a dealer showroom that is unsold

Having extra gear has both advantages and disadvantages.  The gear ratios tend to be closer, so more likely to find an ideal gear at any specific speed, and obviously that can reduce noise, save fuel etc.  The main downside is extra gear changing, and at certain speeds may feel need to change up/down as on cusp of a gear change.  Both manual boxes are hard work if you commute in start stop city traffic.

Regarding spec differences, some are about looks and image, some are useful, and some might fall into the little used so wouldn’t really miss them category.   This is going to be different depending on your needs and lifestyle, as an example someone who drives elderly parents to shops each week is going to want different things to a person who is more chav and bling

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

You will have to be quick for a 110 as no longer available so will have to find one at a dealer showroom that is unsold

Having extra gear has both advantages and disadvantages.  The gear ratios tend to be closer, so more likely to find an ideal gear at any specific speed, and obviously that can reduce noise, save fuel etc.  The main downside is extra gear changing, and at certain speeds may feel need to change up/down as on cusp of a gear change.  Both manual boxes are hard work if you commute in start stop city traffic.

Regarding spec differences, some are about looks and image, some are useful, and some might fall into the little used so wouldn’t really miss them category.   This is going to be different depending on your needs and lifestyle, as an example someone who drives elderly parents to shops each week is going to want different things to a person who is more chav and bling

Thanks for your reply, I have opted to go for a 95PS SE L spec. Reserved a 2017 example with less than 11k on the clock for a really good price from a Skoda dealership. I was unlikely to see any real benefits from the 110PS 6spd box and the more I looked at the Monte, those seats and red plastics put me off - each to their own!

On 11/03/2021 at 21:40, wblmjhs said:

Thanks for your reply, I have opted to go for a 95PS SE L spec. Reserved a 2017 example with less than 11k on the clock for a really good price from a Skoda dealership. I was unlikely to see any real benefits from the 110PS 6spd box and the more I looked at the Monte, those seats and red plastics put me off - each to their own!

The monte is a lovely car, but personally the red accents put me off as well. I also didn't go for a 6 speed. I do long journeys in my 1.2tsi 5 speed 90 and its fine! The engines map to the same power anyway so after warranty is out you can remap the car to 130+bhp.

• Like 1

Thanks for this, I was also considering potential mapping once the Skoda warranty (1 year) is up too. :thumbup:

I don't do much in the line of long Journeys, just a short commute to work but I previously had a 6spd box in a Mk1 Fabia VRS and I was just wondering what it would have been like in the 1.0 TSI.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry. Slow to the discussion. I have a 110PS SEL with the 6 speed gearbox. My daughter has a MKIII with the 95PS 5 speed gearbox. Round town I don't notice much difference. On the motorway I would rather be in mine than hers. The extra gear makes for much more relaxed driving at motorway speeds - lower engine speed, lower noise and much less of a rushed feeling.

• Thanks 1

Hi, thanks for the info. I have picked up the car at the weekend and had a fair old motorway slog to get home. I didn't find it too bad to be honest, but I just plod along these days 😄 

Where I do find it to be different to to 6spd box on my previous Fabia vRS from a few years ago is actually around town as I'm finding 30mph is sitting between 3rd and 4th and maybe the 6 speeder would have dropped it firmly into 4th? It's hard to make a direct comparison though with the vRS being a diesel, but its good to have other peoples findings.

I would have preferred a 110ps to be honest though, but the kids are ready to start driving and I'm having to consider the insurance too 😬

Ah - the insurance woes. I seem to recall the premium difference between the 110PS and the 95PS was marginal although my daughter is now 23 and that might have a bearing. Interestingly, when I learned to drive the Mk1 Golf GTi was the hot hatch and had about 110PS - no one would have let a 17 year old loose in a MK1 GTi but my daughter drove my 100PS 1.9Tdi fabia 1 and the 1.2 110PS that I replaced it with. Mind you, the Mk1 GTi was probably a lot luighter and  more nimble but still.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 26/03/2021 at 17:32, georgef said:

Ah - the insurance woes. I seem to recall the premium difference between the 110PS and the 95PS was marginal although my daughter is now 23 and that might have a bearing. Interestingly, when I learned to drive the Mk1 Golf GTi was the hot hatch and had about 110PS - no one would have let a 17 year old loose in a MK1 GTi but my daughter drove my 100PS 1.9Tdi fabia 1 and the 1.2 110PS that I replaced it with. Mind you, the Mk1 GTi was probably a lot luighter and  more nimble but still.

The 110 TSI performance figures are about the same as a MK2 fiesta xr2. I expect the appeal of a fabia to boy racers and the improved safety features may have helped.

• Like 1