Rear Bumper Moulding - Sorted

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a good condition rear bumper moulding for the Mk1 Octavia.  The OEM part number is 1U6 807 423 (taken from the original on the car).

Mine has been Plastidipped in the past and despite my best efforts I can't get it off neatly so the strip looks decent.  I have tried to find a replacement online but nowhere seems to stock them any more. 

I've placed a wanted advert in the classifieds on here but if anyone knows of where to get one second hand or a new one other than the main dealer, I'd appreciate a heads up.

I did take a punt last week on an Ebay special for the front for £21 and that fitted really well.  I just need to find the equivalent for the rear or source a decent used version.

Thanks,

Andrew.

PXL_20210425_121208780.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210425_121359249.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by skinnyman

I can't help but am really impressed with the surface finish of whatever the spray coating is that has been used to hide/repair the bumper scuffs.

I realise that it has not stood the test of time but could anyone advise what it is?

It's something that I would like to add to my armoury.

• Administrators

If there's no real damaged to it, get a pressure washer and spray off the rest of the Plastidip (could also use some WD40 to help it along). Then order a few cans and spray over the top once cleaned. Do around 3/5 coats leaving 30 mins to dry after each coat.

Edited by DeanVRS20VT

• Administrators
1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I can't help but am really impressed with the surface finish of whatever the spray coating is that has been used to hide/repair the bumper scuffs.

I realise that it has not stood the test of time but could anyone advise what it is?

It's something that I would like to add to my armoury.

eBay: 17031188605

• Like 1

Nothing showing for that E-bay number.

@KenONeill That textured finish has not come from a dipped coating, I actually have a can of genuine Plastidip from years back that I used for coating tool handles etc, probably gone off now, I know they now sell lots of stupid aerosols under their name which are nothing to do with Plastic Dipping, I'm not sure if the bumper insert had been done with one of them or it was used as a generic term.

In any case its an excellent match for the OE moulded finish and I would like to have some of the product if it was done from a spray can and not an industrial process.

Probably, its in another country that wont allow its citizens to return from Covid infested places like here without lots of hoop jumping, costly covid tests and quarantine so I am going from my (very poor) memory.

• Administrators

Sorry: 152417531957
s-l1600.jpg

We're talking about the cans which give that textured effect. Quite common to do the front grille (which is what I did) as it's easily removed.

6 hours ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

If there's no real damaged to it, get a pressure washer and spray off the rest of the Plastidip (could also use some WD40 to help it along). Then order a few cans and spray over the top once cleaned. Do around 3/5 coats leaving 30 mins to dry after each coat.

Unfortunately there's a crack in on one of the corners so I'll need a replacement.

I'll keep looking & if all else fails it might be a trio to the dealers. 

• skinnyman changed the title to Rear Bumper Moulding - Sorted

In the end I bought one from Skoda.  There weren't any in the country so it took about a week to get here.  

It wasn't cheap at £60 but at least it's sorted and has smartened the car up a bit.  I'll put some pics up when I get a chance but to be honest, it's pretty obvious what it looks like.

On 25/04/2021 at 17:26, DeanVRS20VT said:

Sorry: 152417531957
s-l1600.jpg

We're talking about the cans which give that textured effect. Quite common to do the front grille (which is what I did) as it's easily removed.

Thanks for that, I had made my chrome grille black by flatting it with a scotchbrite buffing wheel on my bench grinder, then a satin black followed by clear 2 pack epoxy but it wasn't as durable as I thought and 10K miles later there are loads of stonechips showing silver.

I will definitely try the Plastidip next after stripping off the paint, if it doesn't last then at least I can peel it off easily and nothing will be lost.

Do people find that as a rubberised finish it is resistant in heavy stone chip areas like a grille surround?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Do people find that as a rubberised finish it is resistant in heavy stone chip areas like a grille surround?

Not that I found. Any sort of paint is going to chip there I think, but at least this is a cheaper way of doing it.

• Like 1