1.6 Tdi In Tank Fuel Pump Problem

I'm assuming that the in tank fuel pump has failed because when the fuel level in the tank is below 1/4 i can feel hesitancy and it takes a bit of cranking to start the car.

The hesitancy was quite bad on the motorway about 2 months ago and i had to stop and restart the car. Fault code led to low fuel pressure so i assumed it may be the filter so changed that and it was fine until now.

I remembered a similar problem in a BMW 5 series many moons ago, so i filled up the car and everything is back to normal.

I cannot hear the pump when i cycle the ignition so i'm pretty sure it is the pump or pump controller.

I looked for a pump on the bay but was surprised to see so few listed for my car -2016.

Apart from main dealer, any suggestions for the in-tank pump?

Are Huco pumps recommended.

I've seen a few secondhand pumps around the £60-70 but why bother for something that has probably done similar mileage to mine (130,000) which can fail anytime soon after.

Thanks to the collective, i have been a lurker as i have only had the car 12 months and my first Skoda.

I have lifted the rear seat base and removed the cover for where the pump sits.

There is no noise from the pump and nothing when i tap it with a hefty screwdriver.

The part number for the pump unit is 5Q0919050AD.

I have seen a few with the same part numbers apart from the last two letters, and they look the same - are they compatible or will they give a different fuel level reading?

• 2 weeks later...

It was the fuel pump control module which sits just above the tank. just follow the wires from fuel pump to under the opening  for the fuel pump below the rear seat.

There is a youtube video for a golf tdi but it is exactly the same.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hello sir.

I'm probably having similar issues to yourself.

When I'm lower on tank...like 1/3 then occasionally when I suddenly need the speed... the engine acts like ... it pauses for a split of a second, revs drop but then it just goes.  ...do you think it may be the controller ? Where did you get yours?

Sounds similar.

First port of call would be to change the fuel filter in the engine bay because if it is full of crud, it can cause similar symptoms, and it is cheap.

If they persist, but the symptoms are not there when you have more than half to full tank of fuel, then most likely the in- tank fuel pump.

I managed to get mine off ebay using g the part number on the pump. 

Sorry,  should have said, as above mentioned,  mine turned out to be the fuel pump controller which is a 10 minute job.

I got a second hand one from ebay. They are common to most of the vw Group cars using diesel engines.

If you follow the procedure I used as mentioned above, it should lead you to the source of the problem. 

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem with my Octavia 2.0 TDI mk3 - faulty fuel pump control module, originally suspected the pump/sender unit but it's OK. Control unit is expensive new, so am looking at getting a second hand one.

With either new or second hand module - does anyone know if it needs to be coded / programmed to suit the car, or will it plug in & work so long as the part number (5Q090121) is the same, even if it's originally from a car with different engine eg. a Golf 1.6?