Petrol 230 vrs water pump leaking?

Joy of joys. 
  My octavia 17 vrs petrol is leaking coolant. Temp stays ok. 

Skoda had it in 6 weeks ago saying that the thermostat was loose and leaking.  They tightened  it up free of charge saying they have seen a few of these recently! 
 Roll forward 6 weeks and it’s still leaking. 
  They are saying it could be the gasket/seal  between the thermostat and water pump or the water pump itself. They won’t know until they get it apart.  
  6 hour job! Price ranging from £600 to just over £1000! 

I have asked skoda for a contribution as they had the whole system apart for a heating issue when the car was 2 year old. New matrix etc. Doubt I will get anywhere. 

Is this a common fault for the petrol version? 

That's unlucky mate. Yes, it's a common-ish problem. Some people experience it quite early on, and other cars cover starship mileage without it ever being an issue. So far, so cars!

It's not a monstrous job, but if you ask me the quote you've had is ridiculous. Most places would be able to do that job for less than half that price. I would find a good indy if I was you.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on mate!

Phone call from Skoda today. It could be the thermostat or the water pump. They said the gasket had a small nick in it, they won’t know till they take them apart!  Skoda are now covering 70% of parts and 50% labour. I thought it must be common for them to cover some of the costs with no arguing esp as they did not do the last Service. 
  The dealer has go ahead from Skoda and will have the parts for every outcome in the morning.  Fingers crossed it’s fixed tomorrow. 

• Like 1