Leaking water pump at 48,000 kms (~30,000 miles)

Smellysocks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Upsidedown and others interested,

The Yeti has been repaired.

re water pump  - SKODA provided water pump at 50% off and no further.  The dealer came to the party with 50% off labour.  The cause of the leak was identified as an internal housing leak.

re oil separator - SKODA provided oil separator at 50% off and no further.  The dealer came to the party with 100% off labour.  The cause of the oil separator leak was not specified but it was regarded as being in excellent condition with no signs of any blockage in oil galleries leading to the separator.  A cylinder leak test was carried out by the dealer (my request) to "determine if there was abnormal crank case pressure and the result was everything is as the manufacturer intended".

It's great the work has been carried out, but it took 10 weeks to get to agreement and 6 weeks of that time was waiting for SKODA to respond on 3 occasions and even then they still had to be prompted.  Pretty shabby.

That said, I am happy with the dealer's final offer and the work carried out .......... as far as I can tell from peering under the bonnet!

The beast is back on her feet (yes, she is a she) and strolling the hills around here with renewed confidence.

Thanks for your help and sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Cheers

• Like 2

Thanks for the update and pleased to hear that you have finally received some recompense. Interestingly the 50% (parts and labour) payment for the water pump issue is pretty much in line with the US court case settlement. Hopefully with both you and I persevering by setting precedents outside the US it will make it easier for those who will undoubtedly follow us with failed water pumps to claim some compensation.

(As an aside looks like Skoda NZ is better than Skoda Aus - Another win for the Kiwis!)

Upsidedown,

I'd like to think you're right but I suspect otherwise.

And as for another Kiwi win ...... we have to let you win occasionally so you'll keep playing the game! :)